Re: Is it all worth it?

At 04:29 PM 2/20/2004, Sean Giovanello wrote:
Kim,
I deleted your post after reading, but then decided I wanted to respond.

Are you saying that we had less talent last year but played better and less talent earlier this year and played better and now have more talent but it translates into poorer play?

Nope, I may be verbose, but I'm actually shockingly straightforward and generally mean pretty much what I say. Which in this case never mentioned recent history or such comparisons. I was responding to the increased talk that Ainge's plan, if it even works, will take longer than people originally thought to do so. As in years and years and years. That seems to be largely a response to the increasing shipwreck we see on the court now, which IMO is distorting perceptions of what the real problems are vs what assets/positives we have.

Put another way, my point was that there are two different things that determine how good a team is. Any team. Talent and how it is used. Short of getting a franchise changing player like Bird, the one that takes the longest for change to fully blossom is talent. You not only have to get new and better players, you have to integrate them and develop them (even if they're veterans, they probably still have things to learn and learn not to do or they wouldn't have been available). OTOH, maximizing the effective use of what you do have can cause a much faster change for the better, even if it won't get you championships if you don't have enough talent. Look at when Obie took over from Pitino. Look at Phil Jackson's effect on the Bulls and Lakers, who had the talent but couldn't win before he arrived. Look at all the talk about why the Patriots won even though they didn't have the most talented players at most positions. Therefore once the Cs can get their act together about how to more effectively use what they have, and given the fact that Danny has actually improved the talent - we're deeper and more athletic no matter what you may think of individual deals (just compare last year's bench options and number of player with any hope of upside)- paired with a reasonable assumption that he will continue to do so, I think the improvement can be much faster than people think. And in fact will snowball once the organization and utilization is in place. It's unquestionably an if with the Cs though, and not one I'm sure Danny understands how to implement, because I don't think it's just about coaching.

As to playing better, it's not a straightforward yes or no and it's largely different players you'd be comparing anyway. I don't think there was the same chaos there is right now, but I disagreed with Obie on a number of things about effective use of what he had even though I don't think he's the total idiot source of evil many others do. And no, for cripes sake, that does not put me in some pro Obie or anti Obie "camp" where I only see things because of the camp I'm in. Man I am soooo tired of that sort of put down.

Kim
<snip for length>