From: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Mark Piotrowski
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 8:06 AM
To: Celtics
Subject: Re: my initial thoughts on the trade

>Mark -- i wonder if its not (only) a "strong, disciplined" coach that
PP needs, but a charismatic leader-type like Antoine.  that is the one
and only thing that i miss by trading Toine:  Since the 2001 run he
realized PP was the better player, accepted his role as #1a or #2, but
still was the lighting rod for the team -- leaving PP to sublimely
dominate.

It was strange -- PP had the Jordan talent to Walker's Pippen (calm
down everyone, i'm not comparing either PP or AW to Jordan/Pippen), but
AW had Jordan's alpha-dog-ness to Pippen's "i'm comfortable to be #1a"
attitude.  it was a strange combo but it worked.

IMO, Ainge needs to realize that PP needs a headstrong star playing
next to him -- much like I think r. davis needs to play next to someone
much better than him like PP to reign himself in.  LaFrentz isn't going
to be that alpha-dog guy.  We need someone who's got some swagger --
like a Steve Francis, (in his prime) Gary Payton, or even Marbury.
Rasheed Wallace -- though not as talented as PP -- is a similar in
playing better as the guy slightly in the background.

Along those lines -- lets say for a moment, the Nets (given their
ownership situation) refuse to give Kenyon Martin what he wants
contract wise.  What would it take to get him in a sign and trade --
assuming the Nets would rather get something for him?  Would you do it?
  If Ainge wants a running team K-Mart is a protypical PF (as much as he

irritates me playing against him, he's damn good player).

could we offer 2 #1s, Welsch and a resigned Blount?  Seems like not
enough for him staying in the division.

I imagine Portland might be able to offer more with their glut of PFs
(Randolph and S. Abdur Rahim).

(the other) mark