Re: my initial thoughts on the trade

On Feb 20, 2004, at 8:58 AM, Berry, Mark S wrote:
The Celtics also have, as Mark P. pointed out, some pieces to put
together for a major trade in the summer. Davis, Welsch, Banks and three
first-rounders could be good starting points if a Steve Francis, Kenyon
Martin or someone like that becomes available. And I'm becoming more and
more inclined to make a move with Pierce.

Speaking of Pierce ... I fell asleep after three quarters last night. He
was in the midst of yet another terrible game, while Davis, Welsch, Mihm
(who, by the way, appears to be in the big picture after all; that's
good news) and Banks kept the team in the game. Then I read the accounts
of the end of the game, and find out that Pierce basically butchered the
clock at the end of the game, shot too early and gave the Clips their
winning possession. I'm becoming exasperated with him. He DESPERATELY
needs a strong, disciplined, detail-oriented coach.

Mark -- i wonder if its not (only) a "strong, disciplined" coach that PP needs, but a charismatic leader-type like Antoine. that is the one and only thing that i miss by trading Toine: Since the 2001 run he realized PP was the better player, accepted his role as #1a or #2, but still was the lighting rod for the team -- leaving PP to sublimely dominate.

It was strange -- PP had the Jordan talent to Walker's Pippen (calm down everyone, i'm not comparing either PP or AW to Jordan/Pippen), but AW had Jordan's alpha-dog-ness to Pippen's "i'm comfortable to be #1a" attitude. it was a strange combo but it worked.

IMO, Ainge needs to realize that PP needs a headstrong star playing next to him -- much like I think r. davis needs to play next to someone much better than him like PP to reign himself in. LaFrentz isn't going to be that alpha-dog guy. We need someone who's got some swagger -- like a Steve Francis, (in his prime) Gary Payton, or even Marbury. Rasheed Wallace -- though not as talented as PP -- is a similar in playing better as the guy slightly in the background.

Along those lines -- lets say for a moment, the Nets (given their ownership situation) refuse to give Kenyon Martin what he wants contract wise. What would it take to get him in a sign and trade -- assuming the Nets would rather get something for him? Would you do it? If Ainge wants a running team K-Mart is a protypical PF (as much as he irritates me playing against him, he's damn good player).

could we offer 2 #1s, Welsch and a resigned Blount? Seems like not enough for him staying in the division.

I imagine Portland might be able to offer more with their glut of PFs (Randolph and S. Abdur Rahim).

(the other) mark