Re: my initial thoughts on the trade

Good analysis Mark. As far as the trade, I still have two problems with it. First, the talent to salary ratio of Atkins isnt promising. Maybe Danny, who has claimed he understands the game better than the media or fans, sees something we dont. I would be happy if that were the case. The talent to salary of James was much better than Atkins. My problem with Atkins is that it seems if we had done nothing rather than make this deal, we could have a) resigned Mike James for far less than Atkins (if we wanted to and I didnt), probably for less than 1.25 million or b) signed another veteran type point guard for pretty cheap (veteran minimum or a couple hundred grand more). Would it have been that bad to have signed a Jacque Vaughn, Bob Sura (more of a combo guy but can play the point), Travis Best, Avery Johnson, Kenny Anderson, Rafer Alston, Rod Strickland, Charlie Ward, or Chris Whitney. I took all of those from realGMs list of upcoming free agents. Does Chucky Atkins really give you that much more than some of these guys? After all, we went into this season with James and Banks because Danny thought Banks would be ready or close to it as the season progressed. If next year we want to see Banks get 25-30 minutes a game at the point, does it really make sense to have a 4 million a year backup?

I just dont see the logic here.

Berry, Mark S wrote:

OK, I've had a night to sleep on it, cool off, and compose myself. Here
are my Morning After Thoughts:

This trade isn't a disaster. It's just not that great. We built our
hopes up for guys like Brent Barry, Mo Taylor and Bostjan Nachbar (at
least I did) and we ended up with Chucky Atkins. Naturally, that's going
to lead to some disappointment.

But they did add an asset (the first-round pick) without giving up any
piece of the future of the team. I thought they could do more with the
Mills contract, but maybe teams were only willing to dump bad contracts,
and Ainge wasn't willing to take those back. Atkins' contract isn't
great, but it's only two more years, and Detroit is paying a big chunk
of it. It doesn't change the Celtics' cap situation. They weren't going
to be able to bid more than the mid-level exception for any free agents,
and they still can use that mid-level exception. So the contract really
isn't a factor.

Chucky Atkins. I don't know. Ainge clearly thinks Atkins is an upgrade
over Mike James. I think Mike James is terrible, and yesterday I said
James-Atkins is a wash. Maybe that's not true. I haven't seen enough of
Chucky to say for sure, but if he's better than Mike James, then that's
an improvement. Maybe it's a small improvement, but it's still an
improvement. And if he's not better than Mike James, then he's terrible.
I know his numbers this year aren't better, but he's playing a lot fewer
minutes. We'll see. I'm hoping he's better. Improved point guard play
can make a huge difference for this team. I thought Jiri did a nice job
at the point last night -- much better than James.

The draft pick. Obviously, late first-rounders are crapshoots. But I do
think Ainge, Mark P. and some others are right that the draft has
changed. There are opportunities for patient GMs to snag high-upside
players late in the draft. Young high schoolers and foreign players can
be had at that point. It takes time and patience, but those types of
players can have huge impacts. Another way to go is to nab a polished
senior who slides -- like a Josh Howard, Jamaal Tinsley or Carlos
Boozer. There will be players drafted late who make it. The key, as
always, is talent evaluation.

The Celtics also have, as Mark P. pointed out, some pieces to put
together for a major trade in the summer. Davis, Welsch, Banks and three
first-rounders could be good starting points if a Steve Francis, Kenyon
Martin or someone like that becomes available. And I'm becoming more and
more inclined to make a move with Pierce.

Speaking of Pierce ... I fell asleep after three quarters last night. He
was in the midst of yet another terrible game, while Davis, Welsch, Mihm
(who, by the way, appears to be in the big picture after all; that's
good news) and Banks kept the team in the game. Then I read the accounts
of the end of the game, and find out that Pierce basically butchered the
clock at the end of the game, shot too early and gave the Clips their
winning possession. I'm becoming exasperated with him. He DESPERATELY
needs a strong, disciplined, detail-oriented coach. Otherwise he does
whatever he pleases. He has become a ball-stopper on offense. It reaches
Pierce and he starts pounding in the floor or doing his rock-step
routine while everyone stands and watches. It has gotten to the point
that I feel like the team plays better when Welsch and Davis are in
there together. I'm not saying Pierce is the problem, but he hasn't been
part of the solution. He has gone in the tank more than anyone since
Obie bailed. I don't think he's a tough-minded guy.

Other game notes ... It was good to see Jiri play well. Whoever
suggested Jiri may have been feeling pressure to perform since Ricky
arrived may have been right. He seemed liberated at the start of the
game. ... Ricky had another strong game. He's much better than I
thought. He's not just a scorer. ... Mihm was rock solid. Blount, like
Pierce, has been in a funk since Obie left. Walter, too. It's like the
Obie disciples checked out when he left. Let's get Hunter in there and
see if they get motivated.

Mark