RE: Juwan Howard?

I like Mihm, but he can't stay on the floor and he's a free agent after
the season (team option). More importantly, it's clear now that Ainge
doesn't see him as part of the long-range plan. He's a center, and Ainge
clearly values Blount and Kendrick more than he values Mihm. So he's
using him as trade bait. At any rate, it's awfully hard to argue that
Mihm is a better player than Howard.

I think everyone (me included) has a negative impression of Juwan Howard
because he was so grossly overpaid under his last contract. He became
the poster child for bad contracts. He's not making $17 million a year
anymore. He's under contract for $5 mill a year. He was the hottest
mid-level free agent last offseason, and, according to Chad Ford,
several teams are chasing him right now. He's not the missing piece for
anyone, but he's a contributing piece.

Ainge isn't trying to become the youngest team in the league. He's
trying to stockpile assets. Talented players who help the team win in
the short term but also have trade value in the long-term. Ricky Davis
and Juwan Howard qualify because they're talented players, they can help
the team win while they're here, but they have reasonable contracts that
make them tradeable down the line. The Celtics don't have a lot of those
guys. Their tradeable assets have been expiring contracts (Eric
Williams, Chris Mills, etc.). They needed tradeable PLAYERS. Ainge is
getting them. Put Juwan Howard on the market, and the offers that come
in will be much better than if you put Brandon Hunter on the market.

Ainge's ultimate model is Sacramento, but the model for his rebuilding
strategy is Detroit. The Pistons added contributing players wherever
they could. They took advantage of every asset, including expiring
contracts, to add to the team. They didn't force-feed young players.
They didn't strip it bare and start over. They remained competitive
while doing it, and now they're in position to make some big moves. Fans
never get excited about guys like Juwan Howard or Cliff Robinson (a
comparable acquisition when Detroit picked him up a few years ago), but
guys like that are important.

There are two keys to making this work next season: 1. Find a point
guard. Maybe Marcus Banks makes a leap before his second season. Many
point guards do. If not, Ainge has to find a better answer. Maybe that's
Brent Barry with the mid-level exception. 2. Find a coach who can do
with Pierce what Rick Carlisle did with Jerry Stackhouse a few years
ago. If you remember, the Pistons were a lot like the Celtics -- they
went to Stackhouse every time and he averaged a lot of points, shot a
lousy percentage and turned the ball over a lot. Carlisle convinced
Stackhouse to sacrifice some shots and individual stats for the sake of
the team, and it worked. That's when the Pistons surprised everyone and
won 50 games. The Celtics can make the same kind of move, but everyone
has to be on board -- especially Pierce.

Mark