From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Josh Ozersky" <jozersky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 12:45 PM
Subject: RE: Here's a trade to make

I haven't given up on him, but I'm not putting all my eggs in his
basket. The scary thing is the total lack of progress this season. He's
still a guy who looks for his own offense first, last and always and
doesn't have a clue how to run a team. He's better than James simply
because he plays better defense and pushes the ball up the floor. But
right now, that's the extent of his contributions.

The Celtics need a strong hand and leader at point guard. They've played
one way so long, it's going to take a dominant kind of player at that
position to wrest control of the offense away from Pierce. Look what
Kidd did to New Jersey. The Celtics need a similar kind of player (I
know there isn't another Kidd out there; but they need that kind of
leader at PG).

Pierce is lost out there right now. He needs leadership. That means
coaching (and this is huge -- Carroll is doing untold damage) and that
means point guard. I don't want to give up on Banks, but I don't
consider the point guard position settled by any means. I want to see
how he comes back next season. Point guards traditionally make a quantum
leap that second season. If Banks doesn't improve next season, we'll
know there are problems.

Mark