RE: THE BIG PICTURE

What you refuse to see is the potential disruption of Walker during this
time period.  According to Walker: (To paraphrase his comment's.)

1. Even though the Dir. of Basketball wanted to change the style of play,
the team was going to continue to play the way it always had with a grind it
out offense going through him.

2. That he should be extended for max money and max term even though he had
two more guaranteed years on his contract.

Now with that said, do you even feel it is being fair to show Walker that
you are just holding on to him until a good enough offer comes in?  This is
a guy that with very thin skin who used to whine about Pitino shopping him.

Remember that Walker accused Ainge of trying to sabotage his career by
trading him to a premier (Top 4?) team because his personal stats will
decline due to playing with more talented teammates.

You expect Walker to play as well as last year so the team can pretend to be
a playoff team.  I don't believe that would have happened.  And every time
Ainge made a move we would have seen Walker fume about it in the press.

"Yet, even if his game declined slightly between now and this time next year
his value would have risen
due to his cap number."

At what damage to the team during that 1.5 years of keeping him while he was
unhappy?  Ainge got a deal that could work for the C's and one that could
work for Walker.  You think we could have gotten more, but at what expense
to Walker.

I think it showed a bunch of respect for Walker.  More then half this list
felt that Walker should be playing the SF if the team had a decent 4 and 5.
Walker wanted the ball to go through him, Dallas was going to do that.  It
was a dream shot for Walker to be traded there.  Who else but Cuban would
even consider a max-max deal for him?  Only Walker saw any disrespect.

"I guarantee we would have gotten a better deal."  You may be right.  You
may also be wrong.  I still like the deal from all aspects.

<Jim