Re: Carroll

Yeah, I'm still torn about what to do. Jerry West went outside the
organization during the season when he hired Hubie Brown, and that
worked out great. But the guy you want has to be available. Two guys who
most people believe would be at the top of Ainge's list - Jerry Sichting
and Lionel Hollins (who assisted under Ainge in Phoenix) - both are
under contract as assistants with other teams (Minny and Memphis,
respectively). So do you shorten your short list to consider only guys
who are available now? Then you're really limiting yourself. Of course,
if you want Cowens or DJ, you could make the move right now. But I don't
think Ainge wants either of those guys.

At the same time, is Carroll doing irreparable harm with the miserable
job he's doing right now? Do you lose the attention and loyalty of key
players while waiting for the end of the season? Tough call for Ainge.

This was Obie's last screw job. He threw the team into chaos by quitting
when he did. I can't believe he hasn't received more criticism for this.
It wasn't a case of being burned out or anything like that. He just quit
because he didn't like the trades the GM had made. He would have coached
another team the same night if he could have. That's pretty lousy, if
you ask me. Ainge didn't have to re-up Obie before the season and Obie
didn't have to accept the extension if he didn't like the direction
Ainge had outlined. That would have been fine. He could have bit his lip
and waited until the end of the season and then quit. That would have
been fine. Instead, he waited until the worst possible time and bailed.
If I hear about Obie being "honorable" one more time, I may choke
someone.

At any rate, we're left with Carroll and his inexplicable substitution
patterns and game coaching that makes Isiah look like a bloomin' genius.
So the team continues to sink, Ainge continues to take the blame, and
Obie somehow comes out smelling like roses. And Dr. Jack does his part
to pump up Obie with his sudden shots at Ainge. Up until Obie's
departure, he had nothing but good things to say about Ainge's moves.
Now he's doom-and-gloom. I can't wait for the massive "we were wrong"
proclamations two years from now, when the Celtics are an Eastern
Conference powerhouse. Too bad no one will offer them.

Mark

Kestas wrote:

I've figured it out. His job is to tank games so that we get a high pick
in the
draft. At the same time, he's showing his loyalty to Obie in hopes of
landing
an assistanship. It's  a win-win situation that translates into losses,
losses
and more losses. If Philly players hadnt' given up on Ayers, he'd still
be a
0-fer. At the rate he's going, he won't reach double digits in wins this
season.
Kestas