Trade Demon Dan Ready To Strike Again

(Go for it oh Mormon one.)

Ainge eyes deal by trade deadline
By Steve Bulpett
Friday, February 6, 2004
Danny Ainge said yesterday he is ``hopeful'' he can make another deal by the NBA's Feb. 19 trading deadline.

He zoned in on his desires, saying, ``We need a rebounder, and we need point guard help.''

The Celtics are currently near the bottom of the league rankings in the rebound categories, and they are asking a great deal from Mike James [news] and rookie Marcus Banks [news] at the point.

Ainge again wouldn't confirm Tuesday's Herald report that the Celtics have made a bid for Seattle guard Brent Barry, currently out with a broken finger, but he did speak about another aspect to that story - that Chris Mills' contract is being dangled. Mills, out for the season with an Achilles tendon injury, gets $6.6 million this year, 80 percent of which is picked up by insurance.

``One thing that we do have that has been discussed is Chris Mills' contract, which is a situation where a lot of people would like to get that and get off a player's contract,'' Ainge said. ``There's a lot of teams out there hoping to be in the Kobe Bryant sweepstakes this summer and they might want to get rid of a halfway decent player - a player that can come in and contribute to us greatly. So that's one possibility.''

Asked whether he's looking for a veteran, Ainge said, ``I don't want to go get Kevin Willis or Cliff Robinson, but, I mean, I would like to get a player that would be with us for a few years. But if somebody is 30 and healthy, I wouldn't hesitate.''