Re: Targeting teams that are targeting Kobe

To bring this back to the Wallace discussion, this is exactly the kind
of situation he'd screw up. He'd end up taking back a bad player on a
long-term contract - someone else's trash. I'm confident Ainge won't do
that. If a team wants that cap room badly enough, they'll have to pay
for it with a decent player.

Jessen, this is a good look at some of the names that might be
mentioned. The most likely, it would seem, are Ely and Dooling, simply
because all reports out of L.A. are that those are the guys they're
trying to dump. But why go after guys that can't play for the Clips? I
guess you can take a chance, but I'd hold out for Wilcox. He's stuck
behind Brand, and like I said, that cap room is going to cost you. I'd
also be interested in Jaric.

Dampier is an interesting name. You'd think Golden State would want some
talent back for the guy. After all, he's putting up huge numbers. The
thing that worries me about Dampier is he's likely to opt out of his
contract this summer and expect a huge contract based on one season of
strong play. Does anyone want to give this guy $10 million for six
years? Not me. Murphy would be a nice fit, but I could only see him
available if they trade for Rasheed. Or if the Celts agreed to take
Uncle Cliffy at the same time. Ainge mentioned Cliff in the story this
morning, so you know his name is out there.

Nesterovic or Rose... Can't see the Spurs moving either guy, but they're
interesting players. I worry about overpaying for role players on good
teams, though.

Brian Grant... Without the injury concerns, he'd top my list. He's
exactly what they need - a high-energy defender and rebounder at the PF
spot. But he's aging with a history of injuries. And he still has a lot
left on that contract. If you knew he'd be healthy, I'd look at him like
the Larry Nance addition to the Cavs back in the 80s or the Buck
Williams addition to the Blazers in the early 90s. Those guys were
veteran power forwards that were the perfect fit on young teams. Both
guys helped their new teams make "the leap." A healthy Grant could do
that, but the injuries scare me off.

Another team angling for Kobe is Phoenix. They're shopping Jahidi White
to clear cap room. I'd stay FAR, FAR away from Jahidi. Bad contract, bad
player. The only way I take him is if he comes with Vujanic attached.
Other than that, I don't see a match there.

Not for Kobe, but Atlanta and Detroit also are trying to dump salary.
You might be able to steal one of the Hawks' disappointments, but the
only guy I'm really interested in is Shareef. I doubt you can get him
just for an expiring contract. I might be talked into Jason Terry. He's
not a point guard either, but at least he's a "not-a-point-guard" who
can make an open shot. Detroit would give you Corliss Williamson. Not
interested.

Mark

--- --- ---

Jessen wrote:

Targeting teams who like Danny said, may be trying to get into the Kobe
sweepstakes:

Would you trade Mills for Nestorvic or Rose, both guys having long term
contracts?

How about a Dallas no. 1, Mills, Stewart and McCarty for Brian Grant?

How about Wilcox and Dooling for Mills? Looks like the Clips would
easily
give away Ely and Dooling for free agent money. What would it take to
get the
major trade of Wilcox and Q for Mills and X?

GS has Dampier and Murphy we would be interested in but Murphy is hurt
and
Danny said he is looking for healthy players and Dampier likely would
cost too
much.

Denver stays pat....

Mark