Re: Joe Johnson..

At 10:14 AM 2/5/2004, GuyClinch@xxxxxxx wrote:
It's time for all you Wallace haters out there to apologize.

I'm presuming this category includes anyone who has dared to utter the slightest criticsm of him, as is usually the case with these things? So I guess my repeated comment that he may very well be a wonderful scout - I've listened to him talk about players and hoops on the radio show he had and a scout is expected to supply as much optimism and enthusiasm as sense- providing input, but shouldn't be the one actually making the decisions, makes me qualify.

The 2001 draft
was not a failure. Joe Johnson is coming on - big time. He is starting to look
like a future all-star. He is doing better then anyone on the Celtics outside
of Pierce - that's right better then Ricky Davis or the great "Jiri".

Er, but he's not doing it in Boston, is he? And who traded this boy wonder? Does that give us a stay on apologies, or should Wallace just apologize to himself? Sigh, no, don't bother with the classic kick Obie line that it has really him because "he won't play rookies" because JJ was of course the first counterargument to that chestnut. JJ played until he clearly played his way out of the starting lineup, *exactly* as has happened repeatedly in Phoenix since he left here. With the same sort of motivational/drive/heart issues coming out of the mouths of the Phoenix media that were the problem he showed here.

And would you say the same about him vs Jiri earlier this season, before Jiri seems to have hit this wall, creating the current slump? You know, back when Jiri was leading the league in 3 pt % and was at times the only one on the court for the Cs with evidence of a brain or a clue, which he was fortunately able to rub off a bit on those around him some. You'd have been wrong. And that's without getting into side issues in any such comparison, like how much more PT JJ has gotten under his belt. This is effectively Jiri's rookie year, while as others have pointed out, it's JJ's contract year. Regardless, the issue with JJ has never been about skills - I was drooling along with others about his smooth, intelligent, amazingly mistake free basketball when he was at his best-, but always about how regularly he disappears and seems to lack the drive to take full advantage of those skills. Think of the real difference between Bird, MJ etc and all the 'next ones' with similar skill sets. More practically, mush as you might like what you see today, that extended history makes it tough to rely on him vs just try to use what he gives you this time. Right now, that's a lot of good stuff. Nothing like a little motivation, is there?

Kim