Could the All-Star game be a "cure"?

It's obvious that Paul Pierce has been having a world of trouble with his
offense of late.  Part of this is due to the fact that other teams
recognize his talent and make sure somebody stays on him.  Part of it is
due to the fact that Pierce somehow thinks he can dribble through the heart
of opposing defenses.

Hey, Paul--I like you, your heart, your game.  But you aren't Bob
Cousy.  Stop trying to break every double team like it's a challenge to
your manhood, OK?

Anyway, Paul may have caught a break, as in the All-Star Break.  The annual
popularity contest is rarely considered a defensive game.  That means
Pierce might have a chance to open things up and have some fun.

But there still looms the foul, despicable, amateur-night machinations of
last year's undeserving EC coach, Isaiah Thomas.  The guy whose bizarre
player substitutions (or lack thereof) contributed to the Celtics
dismantling of the Pacers last year in the playoffs.  That sorry son of a
muppet had the unmitigated effrontery to stash Pierce--and Antoine
Walker--at the end of the bench in an overtime game on national television.

But there is hope this time.  Rick Carlisle was One Of Us, once upon a
time.  So was his boss, Larry Whatshisname.

Pierce, unless he has a miserable game, will not languish on the pine this
year.  He should get at least a modicum of respect from Carlisle, who at
least seems to have functioning brain cells and a decent understanding of
what the All-Star Game is about, unlike his predecessor in Indiana.

A solid offensive outing might be just what the Doctor (J) ordered. A
chance to play for fun, having been elected to the team by his peers.  In
some ways, I think it says more about how well-thought-of a player is when
he's voted onto the All-Star team by the coaches.  They know what makes a
player that good.  Certainly better than seemingly everyone in Canada
voting for Vince Carter to start.  Don't they realize Steve Nash is a
better player?? (Cecil's gonna whap me for that one...)

I'm hoping it'll be the boost Paul needs to get his game back together,
because while we don't need him doing all the scoring, we most definitely
need him doing better than he has been.

I'm also going to admit I'm not surprised that Antoine Walker didn't make
the WC AS Team.  Between the face that he is mostly unloved in the NBA and
the trade to the WC from the EC, his chances weren't good, even though he's
playing well in Dallas.

But let's hope Paul realizes that when I say he has a chance to make a
clean breast of it at the game, I'm not talking about --well, you know.  I
bet the halftime show is presented by the Children's Television Workshop.

Ok, I had to say SOMETHING.  You know--fish, barrel, uzi?  I know---"shut
up, Snoopy."

Anyway, I hope Paul--and al Celtics fans--have fun.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle