Re: Bulpett: Celtics May Go After Barry

I love Brent Barry. I've wanted him in Boston since that draft night,
when he was sitting there for the Celtics to take and they chose Eric
Williams instead.

I've always thought he was miscast as a shooting guard. He's a fine
shooting guard. But I think he can be, and has been at times, an
exceptional point guard. He's a spectacular passer, efficient shooter
from everywhere (field, 3-pt, FTs), and completely unselfish. He's tall
and long and likes to push the ball. The Celtics would be hard pressed
to find a better option at point guard. If they could swing that deal
for Mills, or even Mills and a first-rounder, I'd be all for it.
(Although if they include the first-rounder, it becomes imperative that
they sign him after the season.)

I've come to the conclusion that the Celtics need a Brent Barry-type
player at point guard. Someone with some clout. A veteran with a strong
personality. Anyone else will just be overwhelmed by Pierce. I don't see
that happening with Barry. I think a strong floor general will make a
world of difference to the team and Pierce.

If they could pull that off, then Ainge could concentrate on the power
forward spot in free agency. Personally, I love the way Ainge is going
about this. Everything seems well thought out and planned with a vision
of what he wants this team to be.

Mark