Re: one last word on the current Antoine thread (maybe)

I agree that the efficiency numbers aren't valid for direct comparison but
can give some indications. For instance, Battie and Delk score higher than Twan.
We know that Twan is a much better player than Delk and Battie. But why would
they score higher?

I think it is the minutes, the three point shooting and Obie's stupid
offensive plan. First, Twan plays way too many minutes. A large duty of his last year
was to bring up the ball and make the entry pass to PP. He gets no credit for
this in the efficiency numbers. They had to have him in the start the offense
in Obie's scheme. I think because of this and because of natural desire to
play, Twan paced himself which gave him more nonproduction.

Second, he spends way too much of his time at the three point line per Obie's
instruction. This keeps him from getting rebounds and reducing his field goal
percentage. I also blame some of the shooting on Twan himself with his lack
of disgression. But the coach is telling him to do it.

Lastly, the Cs didn't have anyone last year that Twan could benefit from. PP
can force a double team, but they would still keep a guy on Twan. Obie's
isolation offense does not create opportunties where Twan get layups or rebounds.
Any numbers he would get would have to be attained on his own. We didn't have a
point guard who could penetrate leaving Twan open or create some offense. If
Twan played on the Kings last year, his efficiency would go way up because he
would still get his shots but some would be as a benefactor of others  play or
offense.

Therefore, the efficiency numbers do give indications but it isn't who is
better. It is who is being used in the best way....

DJessen33

<< > The "efficiency numbers" are bullshit like every
 > other statistic beyond the basics:  points, shooting %, rebounds,
 > assists, steals, and blocked shots.  Even those are misleading.
 > Antoine is what he is:  a flawed but extremely talented player,

 Uh huh..sure they are thats just a devastating argument - that you think
they
 are bullshit. Wow.. We better call the NBA and have them take it down with a
 withering statistical analysis like that. >>