Tradition upheld

Nostalgic Parish rejoins heralded frontcourt
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 9/6/2003

SPRINGFIELD -- When Robert Parish delivered his acceptance speech last night,
it became official. The final honoree of the Big Three, arguably the best
frontcourt ever, joined Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and 26 other Celtic greats
in the Hall of Fame.

Wearing a dark, pinstriped suit and looking fit to play at 50, Parish thanked
those who contributed to his success: his parents, his coaches, and his
teammates. Parish was escorted by former Celtics coach K.C. Jones to shouts of
"Chief," and was introduced by former Celtics teammate Bill Walton.

The 2003 Hall of Fame class also included Lakers forward James Worthy;
Globetrotter Meadowlark Lemon; Earl Lloyd, the NBA's first African-American
player; Italian superstar Dino Meneghin; the late broadcasting legend Chick
Hearn; and Louisiana Tech women's coach Leon Barmore. But the seldom-seen
Parish was clearly the main attraction for a crowd with many Boston
connections.

"The only time I thought about the Hall of Fame was when someone brought it
up," said Parish. "Growing up when I was playing basketball, I never knew
anything about it until I got to college. I never even dreamed I'd be here
today. Just because you've got the credentials that doesn't mean you're going
to be here."

Parish credited his trade to the Celtics in 1980 for turning him into a Hall
of Famer, though not for the reasons many think. Parish almost missed the best
years of his career because he had grown tired playing with Golden State. He
seriously considered retirement after his fourth year in the NBA. But with the
urging of his mentor, friend and teammate Clifford Ray, and the desire for a
fresh start, he came to Boston.

"[Without the trade], I certainly wouldn't have played 21 years," said Parish.
"It wouldn't have even been close to 21. I don't think I would have made 10
years."

The move revitalized Parish, placing him on the path to Springfield. Parish
teamed with Bird and McHale and won three of his four NBA titles with the
Celtics. What could have been a four-year career turned into a record-setting
21 seasons and 1,611 games. Parish retired in 1997 after winning one last
championship, with the Bulls.

"This is the most important day for him because Robert Parish was never about
ceremony," said Walton, who was inducted in 1993. "He was never about
recognition or credit. He was never about self-promotion . . . But Robert
Parish, through his incredible hard work and determination and commitment,
became easily one of the game's greatest players ever."

And one of the most durable. He scored 23,334 points, grabbed an NBA record
10,117 defensive rebounds, blocked 2,361 shots, played in nine All-Star games,
and made 16 playoff appearances. Behind the stoic facade, Parish cared about
the game.

But even with all the accomplishments, Parish remained a proud product of
Shreveport, La. In fact, his trademark, high-arcing jump shot was a byproduct
of having a 5-foot-3-inch junior high school coach. That coach was wise enough
to know Parish would play against other great athletes who would present much
tougher and taller challenges. So, the coach had Parish shoot over a hoisted
broom handle.

When it came time for Parish to face players his size, the opponent was often
the Lakers in their storied rivalry with the Celtics in the 1980s. Worthy
thought it was only appropriate a Laker and a Celtic should be inducted
together. But mutual respect did not stop Worthy from taking a sideways,
half-joking swipe at the Celtics. After recognizing Parish as someone he
admired since seeing the Chief play for Centenary, Worthy was asked whom he
hated on the Celtics.

"I can't say I hated any of them," said Worthy. "But Danny Ainge was quite a
crybaby."

The remark got a good laugh. But when it came time to consider his career and
induction, Worthy turned serious. After all, the first overall pick in the
1982 NBA draft was the MVP of the 1988 Finals, averaging 22 points per game,
7.4 rebounds, and 4.4 assists. He helped lead the Lakers to three NBA titles
and seven Finals appearances.

"This is the ultimate," said Worthy. "It is more than an honor to be among the
Hall of Famers, particularly those who paved the way for a young kid like
myself to come along and enjoy what I had an opportunity to enjoy."

Reminiscing about his days at the University of North Carolina, Worthy turned
comedian: "I kind of taught Michael [Jordan] everything he knows."

While other members of the 2003 class did not have the NBA Finals stage to
demonstrate their talents, their contributions and careers were
enthusiastically acknowledged. And they felt the thrill just as deeply as
Parish and Worthy.

"I have been asked several times what does it feel like," said Lemon. "It
feels like someone took a bucket of warm honey and just started pouring it
down. When that happens, you can truly say, `How sweet it is.' "

Added Meneghin: "In Italy, we know something about the Hall of Fame, but I
think everybody has to come here to see what it is. For me, to be here, to see
my shirt, my face on the wall is like a painter seeing his picture in the
Louvre."

With its diverse 2003 class, the Hall of Fame took an important look back at
NBA history in honoring Lloyd. When Lloyd took the floor for the Washington
Capitals on Oct. 31, 1950, he became the first African-American to play in an
NBA game. He became the first African-American to win an NBA championship
(with Syracuse) in 1955. But when he talked about the people who helped him
reach those firsts, he was, in effect, speaking for all the inductees.

"It's been a real long journey for me from Alexandria, Va., to Springfield,
Mass.," said Lloyd. "I mean a long journey. I always say there's a lot of
handprints on me. Every day I left the house to go play a game, my mother said
to me, `Do not embarrass this family.' She was not talking about winning or
losing. That's the kind of family I was raised in. I really believe all the
people who touched me from Alexandria to here need to be thanked."

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of 350-850-FR.gif]