Re: I challenge you

  Y'know, I respect (most of) the opinions on this list and the other one I
just joined, but I refuse to put Lebron James on a list of people who are
(maybe) better than Antoine Walker.  Jesus, the kid has made close to $90,000,000
already and has yet to wear an NBA uniform other than for photo ops.  Isn't
there something called "paying your dues?"  Like, by playing in a game or two?
    I guess not.  LeBron has already become the next Jordan, right?   When
will we see the first high school junior dubbed as the next Kobe?   In fact,
there's probably a 4th grader out there hoping to be the next Lebron.  Little
does he know that in five years, he'll want to be the next someone else.
    Sorry.  It is such crap that makes it awfully tempting to blow off pro
sports altogether in favor of backpacking or studying antique bookbinding or
some such thing.  One keeps coming back, though, for the Karl Malones of the
world who, fairly quietly, work their asses off, year after year, and remain elite
players at age 40 and who, by and large, avoid getting arrested in the
meantime and maybe even (shudder) stay out of the headlines in general because they
don't self-promote 24/7 and manage to stay married.   Ditto Roger Clemens.
Ray Bourque.  Bill Elliott.  Lebron, you put up 20/9 at age 36 and I'll pay
attention.  Until then, you're an overpaid, overhyped rookie.