one last word on the current Antoine thread (maybe)

Since this debate will never end and never progress, I might
as well be the one to play the part of Antoine's defender.  I don't
believe that Antoine is an elite player, on the level of (say) Yao
Ming or Dirk Nowitski, but neither is it fair to judge him by some
statistical formula.  The "efficiency numbers" are bullshit like every
other statistic beyond the basics:  points, shooting %, rebounds,
assists, steals, and blocked shots.  Even those are misleading.
Antoine is what he is:  a flawed but extremely talented player,
occasionally devastating with his dribble and passing, not much
of an athlete, but a rare max-salary player who plays and practices
hard and takes his responsibilties as a team leader very seriously,
and is capable of a triple-double any given night.

Find me somebody in the next draft who fits that description and I'll
be happy to take him with a top five pick, even if he shoots too much,
hogs the ball, and doesn't get to the line.

Josh

GuyClinch@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Since Twan seems to be continously degraded on these boards, I challenge
> anyone to name me 25 present players who they think today are better players
> than
> Twan....
>
> DJessen33

Looks like some people met your "challenge"..
Come on guy.. Walker shot .38 from the field and .61 from the line. He was
among the league leaders in turnovers and if that wasn't enough he was a fairly
poor rebounder for his position.

25 players are too easy...
One can just look up the efficency numbers and see that Walker is a top fifty
player.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/default_regular_season_leaders/LeagueLeadersEFFQ
uery.html

46. Antoine Walker ( Boston Celtics) 78 17.08

Now the efficency stat isn't perfect..but it does indicate that many many
players are more productive then Walker.

Pete

Pete