Re: Chad Ford Picks The Celtics 8th

I'm not sure which is potentially more annoying--that Chad Ford gets paid
to beat up on the Celtics or that Way does it for free.

I'm well and truly fed up with the denigrating comments about the C's and
the EC in general.  Let's take a look at the all-hallowed Wild Western
Conference.

We have over here "Exhibit A", otherwise known as the Portland
Trailblazers.  If the NBA ever opens up an expansion franchise in Tombstone
Arizona, then the Jailblazers should be made to feel right at home, and I'm
sure the City of Portland would welcome the exodus--if only to lower the
crime rate.  On those occasions when they're not increasing their personal
familiarity with law enforcement, they're experiencing meltdowns
reminiscent of the "China Syndrome"--but without Jack Lemmon to bolster
their credibility.

Ah, now here's an interesting find--the Utah Jazz, living proof to Danny
Ainge that having two bona fide superstars surrounded by nondescript
players does not a championship team make.  Now that Stockton and Malone
have accepted the inevitable--about 10 years too late--the Jazz will be
having an interesting season trying to stay out of the cellar.  but they
will have help there, provided by...

...The Denver Nuggets, who decided it was a good idea to cut back on their
offense by getting rid of their best offensive threat--which is a little
like taking a water gun away from an annoying three year old.  The Mile
High Team will have such low scoring, they'll become known as the half-mile
team.

Onward we go, and here's the Minnesota Timberwolves.  I really liked Kevin
McHale as a player.  As an office-type person, he's worse news that
Hurricane Andrew was to Homestead.  All the business about how Kevin
Garnett was going to have a better supporting cast has been revealed as so
much smoke and mirrors to keep KG from doing what Payton and Malone
did.  Sam Cassell and Wally S. have been useless to them.  The T'wolves
used to give the Celtics fits every time they played.  Most recently, the
team fought each other far more than they did anyone from the C's fast
breaking upcourt.

The L.A. Clippers, who despite living in what is supposedly a great part of
the country, have to pay millions more than the going rate to get their
players to stay put.  That the owners and management haven't been fired for
incompetence tells me they've got fantastic photographs somewhere.

Mark Cuban is trying to outspend the entire rest of the league, figuring if
the Mavs can't play defense, he'll buy up everyone else's offensive players
and sit them on his bench.  Then Dallas can win by outscoring everyone
else's bench.

The Houston Rockets were so clueless they had Yao Ming taking outside jump
shots--when anyone bothered to pass their extremely tall center the ball,
that is.

Then we have the single biggest waste of potential in the NBA.  The
annoying, third-rate, L.A. Lakers.  Shaq should have been THE dominant
center of the last decade.  Instead he rests on his unearned rep as
"Diesel" or whatever he's calling himself this week.  Last season, Shaq
destroyed the Lakers by putting off surgery until just before the season
began.  Thus, he was completely out of shape for the first four months of
the season.  Only an extraordinary stretch of play by Kobe Bryant saved the
Lakers from total humiliation by way of not winning enough games to make
the playoffs.  This season, Shaq is supposedly in better shape, but Kobe
decided he was too traumatized to practice this summer.  Then he apparently
figured showing up for training camp in Hawaii was too much of a
bother.  Payton and Malone must be mentally kicking themselves to sleep
every night.  The LA-ZY Lakers are long overdue for their comeuppance and I
plan to enjoy every moment of it.

Now, having examined the West, let's try to deal ol' Chad some reality
about the East in relation to the Celtics.

He picked New Jersey first.  OK, they did win the EC title last year, but
after their "let's not bother" mentality of the preseason, they lack mental
toughness.  They're more fragile than Chad seems willing to accept.  Still,
the C's will have to wreak havoc upon them in the regular season--and
playoffs, presuming the opportunity arises--to be reasonably acknowledged
as the better team.

For second, Chad went with Detroit.  Fair enough based on their preseason
dismantling of the Celtics.  But the Pistons are still a team without a
defense once Ben Wallace takes a seat.  If the C's running defense runs
smoothly, the Pistons are in for some long nights.  In any case, Chad seems
to be unwilling to remember that the Celtics took the Pistons down in their
last playoff encounter.

In third, The Chad Man went with the New Orleans Hornets.   OK, we have
found the only sportswriter that thinks Tim Floyd is a better coach than
Isaiah Thomas.  Get real, man.  The Hornets have good players with bad
owners and now an even worse coach.

Fourth place in Chad's fantasyfest went to the Indiana Pacers.  Yes, having
Thomas as coach was a major problem for them.  But The PAcers were all too
willing to self-destruct no matter WHO ran the team.  Reggie Miller is only
about 50%--if that--of the player he was.  He's still good, but no longer
great, and definitely no longer the go-to guy.  Larry and Carlisle are a
definite improvement, but they're going to have to prove themselves better
than Boston--in their last meeting, they did not.

In the number five slot we see the Orlando Magic, otherwise known as the
4077th east.  They need all the miracles modern medicine can provide just
to keep the only decent player they have from being unable make it up and
down the court on a regular basis.  This is a team better than Boston?  Nope.

The Sixers as number six.  Larry Brown was the only known person who could
keep Iverson more or less on track and even he finally left town in
frustration.  AI scores most of his points by throwing himself at the
defense and either making crazy shots or getting the foul call.  His
newfound sense of team play was great at the Olympic qualifiers, but now
he's got his normal teammates with him.  In other words, guys not as
good.  He'll be fed up with that pretty quick.

The Bulls in seventh place.  Chad actually says he likes this team better
than the other East teams.  Chad, old man, you have GOT to get those
medications adjusted.  The hallucinations are playing with your mind.

The C's drop to eighth and we realize Chad is winging it, apparently
unmindful of the universe his columns actually appear in.

I mean if Way is going to post fiction to the list, can't it at least be
GOOD fiction?  Bleah.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle