Chad Ford Talks/Analyzes Walker Trade

Chatting right now, here, and not Dallas' first. Trade looks even better.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4181

Chad Ford: (12:59 PM ET ) What a great start to a week. Judging from the questions, most of you heard about the Antoine Walker for Raef LaFrentz swap this morning. About 90 percent of the questions start this way "What the hell was [insert either Danny Ainge or Mark Cuban] thinking?"

Good question.

Albert (Arlington, VA): Chad, What do you think of the Celtics-Mavs trade? Was it good for either and/or both teams? Where will Walker play in Dallas? Will he or Nowitzki play some center?

Chad Ford: (1:00 PM ET ) I can understand the confusion. On paper this trade makes sense for neither team. After making a few phone calls this morning, here's what I think is going on:

Chad Ford: (1:02 PM ET ) Boston: They didn't want to pay Antoine the money he was looking for in an extension. So they tried to get the best deal they could for him. The team likes LaFrentz and thinks he could put up 15 and 8 like he did in Denver in the East. They also believe Vin Baker is ready to begin starting at power forward this year. Welsh is a nice bonus. Mills saves them $6.6 million next year. The future first rounder, I'm told, will be a pick Dallas acquired from another team.

Chad Ford: (1:03 PM ET ) Dallas: Same thing that happened with Antawn Jamison. When someone offers you a sweetheart deal, you take it, no questions asked. They don't need Antoine, but they got him very cheaply. If he doesn't fit, either 'Toine or 'Twan will be great trade bait.