Beagle thoughts on the trade

I have some opinions on the reasons for the trade, most of which center
around Danny Ainge.  For all that I'm sure he's a nice person, he seems to
be big on discipline.  Walker, for all his talent, is something of a free
thinker, and doesn't hesitate to say what's on his mind, even if it happens
to be to a reporter.

On the positive side for Walker, just the other night, I saw evidence of
his dynamic passing and his ability to go to the basket.  Negatively, he
also still had a tendency to overcontrol the offense, a job that is no
longer his.

When you add his recent comments stating that basically he didn't think a
running game would really happen, Ainge needed to shake his
complacency--and that of anyone else who thought Ainge was kidding about
running.

Thus, Ainge could no longer sit and hope Walker would "buy into" the
running game.  The trade had to happen now.  Also, in an interview with
Tommy Heinsohn, he did make clear he wanted to do at least one more deal
for a guard before the season started.

I don't know enough about the former Dallas players to know if they're the
players Boston needs, either now or long term.  I do think that Ainge felt
the trade needed to happen NOW, to make the point that the running game was
hear to stay, and everybody better get with the program.  This thinking is
of a kind with the trade that got Jumaine Jones to Boston, when someone
else unwisely decided to test the waters for better offers.

I'll be among the first to admit Walker had some trouble with the
change.  But to be fair, the C's were asking him to change his game
completely, and in very little time.  I think if this had been started last
season, and emphasized through the summer, things would have been much
different.

I think the C's lose a bit, because for his faults, Walker is a
tremendously talented basketball player, capable of drawing the defense
away from Pierce.  Most teams only have one "star player".  The C's had
two.  It seems to me that Ainge is gambling that Baker will, in fact, step
up, and the rest of the team will run hard, fast, and smart enough to ease
the defensive pressure off Pierce.

As to Tony Delk,  I liked what he could do, but I guess he wasn't doing
enough of it.  As some have mentioned, it will de-murkify the rotation
somewhat.

I also believe Danny was sending a message to O'Brien.  Walker wasn't
getting with the program and he's gone.  If I traded him, I'll trade
anyone, including you.  So put those runners in.

But this could easily backfire, creating bad morale among players that
liked Antoine and valued his leadership, wondering if Ainge is chasing the
championship ghosts of the 80's rather than creating a new championship
team today.

It's an all-or-nothing play for Ainge, and he's betting the house that he
can win without Walker.  Remind me not to play poker with Danny.  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle