Raef's absence hurts all around

By Steve Bulpett
Monday, November 24, 2003

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?
In the case of Raef LaFrentz, however, even absence hasn't been a heavily
played issue around the Celtics.

     But a closer look at some of the Shamrock problems makes it clear he's
been missed. Passing, spacing and rebounding have been lacking at critical
times, and those are things the versatile 6-foot-11 LaFrentz can provide.

     The trouble is he's on the injured list with right knee tendinitis. And
while he'll be eligible for activation after tonight's game against New York
and coach Jim O'Brien said yesterday he'll be evaluated tomorrow, Danny Ainge
is pegging a return for next Monday.

     Paul Pierce [news] doesn't like waiting. Pierce got used to having extra
room inside with Antoine Walker [news] lurking on the perimeter, but he's
found more traffic lately.

     ``Man, I think Raef is very important,'' said his former Kansas teammate.
``I think he's a double-double guy for us. I think he's going to be a strong
rebounder, strong defender and give us double-figure scoring and a defensive
presence. I think he's definitely going to be a key for us in his return.

     ``I thought Antoine made for more lanes, because you brought a big man
out on the perimeter. Now when I'm driving (teams) have two big men who are
stepping up. We have more of a traditional-style lineup now where you have two
big guys in the post, so that extra lane isn't going to be there for me to
attack the basket and get fouls like I did last year. It's just coming from
different areas now on the court. Both of the (opponent's) big men are able to
play in the lane instead of coming out on another forward that's out there on
the perimeter.

     ``Raef brings another dimension,'' Pierce said. ``He's a big guy who can
draw his man out to the perimeter along with the other two perimeter guys and
myself. It gives you more flexibility on the lineup. It gives you more
flexibility on just being able to drive. He just gives us a different
dimension than what we have in the traditional style where you've got two
post-up players. Both of them are good shooters, but not quite the shooter
that Raef is.''

     LaFrentz played in the first eight games, averaging 8.8 points, 5.6
rebounds and 1.4 assists in 22.3 minutes. But he was a key part of keeping the
ball moving, and he showed some explosiveness with a 17-point game in New
Orleans.

     ``I think that having an extra shooter and passer on the court is huge,''
said Ainge. ``I think it's just huge. I think we've missed Raef. Even Raef
when he was playing at 60 percent was doing some things to help us. I just
didn't want him to go down with something more serious because he was playing
at less than 100 percent.

     ``But we'd love to have him back in there. Raef is a complementary
player, and those guys are important to have. He does a little bit of
everything. He rebounds, he blocks shots, he shoots from the outside, he
passes the ball. He allows good players to play their game, and yet he's a
player that has to be honored and respected by the defense for what he can do
with his own game. He's a very good complementary piece.

     ``His numbers have been decent, but he's not a guy whose performance you
base on production. A lot of times when he's on the court he may not get the
shot, but his presence alone is going to extend the defense. So if teams
double-team off of him and he's getting shots, he's proven he makes them. He's
shooting like 58-60 percent from 15 feet out to the 3-point line. His 3-point
shooting has been horrible, but we know he can make those, too. But you can't
just base things on production with him because he can free up other people.''

     Pierce, for one, is looking forward to a little more freedom.

     ``I'm trying to find my spots where I'm going to be able to get my
offense,'' he said. ``It's different each and every game.''
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx