C's stay in the mix

By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Monday, November 24, 2003

The Celtics weren't a happy group when they took the floor for practice
yesterday. They are coming off three straight losses, and even the presence of
Fox Sports Net cable operators and advertisers at the open workout didn't take
away any of their testiness.

     But when the Celts look at the standings, they have to smile. Some of
them may feel they're back in college with the way the Atlantic Division is
grading on the curve. For all their flaws, the 5-7 Celtics are just a game
behind 7-7 Philadelphia for first place.

     ``It's crazy,'' Paul Pierce [news] said. ``I guess a lot of teams are
getting adjusted to new players, especially in our division. I thought it
would take us some time, but it seems like it's taking the rest of the
division some time, so that's fine with me. Hopefully we'll get it together
before it's too late.''

     Tonight against the Knicks might be a good time. The Celts squandered a
17-point lead in New York last Monday and would like nothing better than to
lay a little wood on the visitors this evening.

     ``That's pretty much the case,'' Pierce said. ``We've got to get a win
somehow. We're not playing terrible; we're just not doing the little things to
get us over that hump and win. I expect us to come out there and do the little
things (tonight) so we get a `W.' ''

     Hey, but it's not like the division will let them fall out of the race if
they don't.

     ``We kind of feel a little bit lucky that the East is the way it is right
now - and in particular the Atlantic Division - because first place is up for
grabs despite our record,'' said coach Jim O'Brien. ``I don't think anybody in
the Atlantic has gotten off to a start they're happy with. . . . The object
for us is to understand we want to win our next game. We want to beat the
Knicks.''

     You can just imagine where the Celts would be if they had gotten a few
more defensive rebounds here and there. You can, but Pierce doesn't want to.

     ``You'll kill yourself if you look back and say, `What if?' '' he said.
``You've just got to roll with the punches and clean up the things the next
time out. If you could turn back the clock we'd be undefeated right now. But
you've just got to roll with what you've been dealt at this point and just
learn from your mistakes.''

     Blount questionable

     Mark Blount's availability will be a gametime decision after he cut his
right index finger on the rim yesterday and required stitches. Blount was
attempting a dunk when Walter McCarty [news] went up for a block. Blount's
hand hit the rim hard.

     The lengthy practice was wisely ended when Pierce crashed to the floor
after colliding with Jumaine Jones on a drive. . . .

     The Knicks have some injury issues of their own, which makes planning
confusing for the Celts.

     ``It's tough to say what team we're going to face, but (Saturday) night
they didn't have Keith Van Horn or (Allan) Houston and they beat the 76ers,
which is a great win for them,'' O'Brien said. ``I think those two guys are
supposed to be back. (Antonio) McDyess is supposed to make an appearance any
time now, so we just have to prepare for the Knicks and when they get out on
the court see who they're playing. We just have to be focused on what we do
instead of really being overly concerned about the opponent.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx