Pierce

I just want to chime in on my two cents on Pierce. I think we're all in agreement that he's playing terrible, but I don't buy the argument that it's happening because Antoine isn't around anymore and the defense concentrates on him more now.  I don't buy that at all.

Doesn't anyone remember last season? Pierce was swamped then, too. It started with the New Jersey series in the Eastern Conference Finals. They established the blueprint for defending Pierce - double team him to force turnovers, and use help defenders to take the charge on his drives to the hoop because he won't pass in those situations. Teams did it last season, and Pierce's production dropped quite a bit. Remember, he shot 41 percent last season - very sub-par for him.

They're still doing it. The only difference this season is Pierce actually is trying to create for teammates, but that isn't his strength. He's not Antoine and he's not a point guard. He should be the finisher, not the guy starting the offense. Unfortunately, the point guards aren't good enough and Obie seems entirely incapable of designing an offense with more than one pass (we've gone from the Pierce-Walker show to the Pierce-Baker or Pierce-EWill show).

Anyway, Pierce looks like he wants to do the right thing, but he's making the wrong choice almost every time. He's shooting when he should pass, passing when he should shoot and not doing any of it very well. He's thinking too much. But the poor shot selection and propensity for turnovers isn't new, and it isn't because Antoine isn't here. Pierce is going to have to figure it out. Unfortunately, it's taking longer than we'd hoped.

Mark