Re: Doc

At 01:51 PM 11/18/2003, Wright, Cecil wrote:
Doc Rivers is now looking for a job.  I know he'll probably draw interest from
someone, but would he make for a great teacher for a young point guard?

Who, Marcus? Like hiring him on staff? Yes in theory, but gee, I dunno, Cecil. I don't think Marcus really needs another coach yammering in his ear at this point. Ainge and Obie both played that position, aside from whoever else is hanging around the team or available on call for some one on one intensive training. While one thing I never see mentioned here is Obie giving him a lot of (apparently well received, before everyone has hysteria) hands on instruction during the games on top of what he's getting in practice. There are only so many voices you can have telling a kid things before they become just voices and background noise, no matter how good the message. I think he needs what I said before - a wily vet to learn by actually playing against in practice. I'm a big fan of you learn best by being challenged through increasingly more difficult doing vs just being told.

 How
does a coach go from the penthouse to the outhouse in less than two years?

Can happen from game to game around here, 2 years is a lifetime....

Kim