RE: Mavs now Twan's team

--- Adam Patterson <apat2848@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess we'll have to wait and see how Walker and
> the Mavs pan out, but
> it would seem that I am not the only one who is of
> the opinion that
> Walker had a negative influence on the Celtics. The
> fact that Ainge
> traded Walker for a guy who is far less superior
> talent-wise suggests he
> was desperate to get rid of him, and the fact that
> the entire coaching
> and management staff agreed with the trade shows
> that they knew of his
> influence also.

Yes, there is safety in numbers.

> I am in full agreement about Walker's talent and
> that he is light years
> ahead of Ron Mercer and even the guy he was traded
> for- Raef LaFrentz.
> But it's purely his attitude that has let him down
> over the years. It
> was evident when Pitino was in charge (refusing to
> play in summer
> league, coming to training camp out of shape) and
> it's also been obvious
> in recent times (having an argument with a heckler
> during the EC
> semi-finals).

Yet his attitude is what separated him from the pack.

> Because of his attitude I cannot see Walker
> regaining a position similar
> to what he had with the Celtics, and I highly doubt
> that the Mavericks
> will retain his services after this season. Watch
> for Antoine to be in
> another jersey by the trading deadline.

Actually, it is because of his attitude that he will.
Nobody on that Mavs team is a leader and nobody, as a
result, will challenge his ascendency to the throne.
As for him being in another uniform, I suppose you can
never rule out Mark Cuban's impetuousness, though I
severely doubt Antoine will get traded prior to this
year's deadline...see me next year when his impending
free agency (he has an opt-out this season, is an
unrestricted free agent next) will make him great
trade bait (we should have waited, but sometimes, I
suppose, it's better to act).

> In the case that Walker retains his All-Star form
> and he has a stellar
> season, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and
> will even feel
> pleased for Antoine. I won't have my head down but
> rather in the other
> direction, watching our group of guys grow into a
> solid cohesive unit
> ready for the playoffs.
>
> ad

True that, AD.  Let's start getting your head up
tonight v. those swarmy Kings.

Ryan