A radical suggestion...

We've been seeing a bit of backsliding while Pierce--and the rest of the
team--works on not pushing the ball to Pierce on crunch time
possessions.  There's a way to cure that, but it means taking a gamble.

Sit Pierce in favor of Vin Baker.

I know the reasonable arguments.  Pierce is Da Man.  Vin is playing better
than in years, but he is less than a year removed from a suspension that
nearly everyone figured symbolized the end of his playing career.  Pierce
can create shots, what's Vin going to do?

Take another look at Baker.  As of last night he was leading the league in
shooting percentage.  Baker doesn't force his shot.  Ever.  He takes what's
there, or he passes the ball.

People have been enthusiastic about Vin's scoring, but look at his
passing.  In the last game against New Jersey, he was one of the few
Celtics players passing the ball up to start the break.  Vin also rebounds
well, blocking out, and helping on plays.

Every team in the NBA knows everything about Pierce, probably to what kind
of soft drink he likes.  But Baker is still a bit of an unknown.  The last
time Sacramento saw anything of Baker, he was fast slipping downhill, too
big, too slow, and committing stupid fouls.  The improved, slim Super Vin
is unknown to them.

Tell Banks and James to work on getting the ball to Baker and see what
happens.  Ideally, Baker scores a lot of points before the Kings start
doubling him.  That's where the pass comes in.  Vin is passing very well
right now.  His shot selection is such that he won't try to force the
offense as Pierce still tends to do.  And Pierce will sit and watch.  More
than any training or skull session, this will show him what can happen if
you balance shooting with passing.

Baker isn't a Great Player.  But he's playing very smart, and he's proven
he's ready for whatever comes his way.  The team has supported him off the
court, even to taking booze off the team plane.  Now, they can do it on the
court too.

It may not work.  We might get stomped on.  But I think it's worth the
risk, early in the season.

By the way, to all those sportswriters who put the Celtics behind the
Magic: "plllbbbtttttt!"

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle