re: Interesting Insider article on the expansion draft

I found this interesting. It lays out some scenarios surrounding next
summer's expansion draft. It's long, but worth the read. While we're on the
subject, has anyone else tried to look at who the Celts might protect? They
get to protect eight players. It's not as easy to choose those players as
you'd think. Anyway, kind of a fun exercise.

Mark

Actually Mark the answer is "Yes", someone has tried to look at who the Celts might protect....

http://www.igtc.com/archives/celtics/2003/Jul/msg00539.html

However that was before the Walker trade and I was only brave enough to suggest 5 protected players. Here's my current (not thought out) thinking though:

If you can't protect the rights to FA's (i.e. Williams) then i'd suggest:

Pierce - a lock
LaFrentz - i don't think Ainge takes the gamble Charlotte takes him even with his salary
Perkins - a lock
Banks - I doubt ainge fools around here either
Battie - OK, this is where it gets more difficult, but I don't agree with some that he and Blount are interchangeable. Battie is the better player by far, and IMO the perfect backup combo 4/5
Jones -
James - will be nice when banks is starting and James the vet off the bench
Welsch - uuuuppside
Hunter

this would leave 4 players unprotected

K. Brown
Baker
Blount
McCarty

Of which I imagine Charlotte would choose Blount (after which we can pull back a player (probably McCarty unless Kedrick gets his ass in gear) -- unless Ainge can work up something to entice Charlotte into taking Baker then waiving him so we can sign him at a lower rate. This would only save cap room though, not money since I assume being a shrewd businessman Johnson/Bickerstaff would only take on Baker's waived salary if we pick up most/all of it + picks. With only 2 more years and Baker recussitated, its not worth the picks to me.

(the other) Mark