Re: the Detroit game

I'd certainly prefer if the players who were handling the ball for me got
their advice from Cousy or Heinsohn instead of Michael Jordan, as Walker
has the last few years.  I acknowledge Jordan's sheer athleticism and
talent, but Cousy--and for that matter, Bird--are better basketball
players.  Jordan's style always--to my view--emphasized a "me first"
attitude that results in player like Ricky Davis--who, by the way, I want
no part of via trade or otherwise.

Cousy knew how to distribute the ball as a PG better than anyone and if one
was bound and determined to dribble through traffic, Cooz is the guy to
teach you that, too.

Bird is what you get when God says, "I'm going to make a basketball
player."  Larry just knew more about every aspect of the game and used
every last bit of knowledge and ability to make his team better.  Not that
he was above the occasional personal goal, as evidenced by the 3-point
competitions he dominated like Einstein over amoebas--but his focus was on
his team winning the game, the series, and the championship.  He didn't
even want to coach the all-star game because it didn't count toward the
championship.  Yes, sometimes, he was a little TOO focused.

But to leave the cookie box and get back to the point--quite literally--I
don't see how, as a former PG himself, Obie could seriously object if two
of the game's great players wanted to make his PG's play better.

At 10:33 PM 11/6/03 -0500, john heydt wrote:

>I've often wondered about whether Tommy (or Cousy) speaks directly to the
>players with their tips.  It would seem to me that they would have to walk a
>tightrope as not to overstep OB's authority.   If I were the coach I may not
>like it if former players are giving advice to my players.
>
>John
>
>SNIP
> >
> > The thing I don't understand is that not only Tommy Heinsohn, but Bob
>Cousy
> > has been on James and Banks to do better.  Their advice is literally
>nearly
> > identical.  Between them, they certainly know whereof they speak.  So why
> > aren't they listening?  No idea.  God knows if I had access to two Hall of
> > Fame Celtics players to critique my game, I'd be listening and
>implementing
> > their advice ASAP.
> >
> > Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
> > Please visit the <http://www.celticsbeagle.net/>Celtics Beagle Website