Re: the Detroit game

At 05:00 PM 11/6/03 -0500, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:

>I hate players who were once Celtics, didn't show much while here, and now are
>killing us every time we play their team. It's like, where were you when you
>were playing for us, hero?! You know who I'm talking about. That said, he
>didn't do his painful 5-6 years of maturing as a player with the Celtics
>(except for a few months) and we have Pitino to thank for that. Snoopy, would
>you be willing to wait 6 years until Banks starts producing at the level that
>Billups is?

Yes.  We've been waiting twice as long as that already.  Unless there's an
established PG out there who's willing and able to come to Boston, we
should sit tight and deal with it, rather than go out and try to develop
yet another player in a year or two.

>I also hate players who were once summer league warm bodies, then went on
>gear,
>and have become All-Stars thanks in no small part to pharmacological "aids".
>Yes, I'm talking about that poster child for what steroids can do your
>basketball career, Ben Wallace. He's so jacked up that seems unfair that he's
>playing against 'normal' basketball players. It's not like our guys weren't
>trying to get rebounds. But he was stronger, quicker, more aggressive in every
>encounter and would come away with the ball nearly every time against much
>bigger opponents.

I couldn't get over the size of Wallace's arms.  I thought for sure the
weight of them would tear them right off his shoulders.

>Everything else has been said, except... It's only the 4th game of the season
>and I'm already sick of Tommy's ranting about the refs. He's going to burst a
>vessel in his brain on one of those games and even Danny's swami won't
>save him
>(well, especially not the swami). He's getting more and more cranky and
>unreasonable every year...However, I do get a kick of out his screaming at
>Mike
>James and Marcus Banks to do what every point guard is supposed to do. I
>wonder
>if they can hear him. If anybody has good seats at Fleece/BOA, can you hear
>Tommy screaming at the refs and Celtics players?

Well, Tommy is Tommy.  He's always been emotional and more than willing to
say what's on his mind.  Yes, sometimes he does overdo it with the refs,
but frankly, I agree that the overall quality of officiating has dropped
like a rock on Jupiter.

The thing I don't understand is that not only Tommy Heinsohn, but Bob Cousy
has been on James and Banks to do better.  Their advice is literally nearly
identical.  Between them, they certainly know whereof they speak.  So why
aren't they listening?  No idea.  God knows if I had access to two Hall of
Fame Celtics players to critique my game, I'd be listening and implementing
their advice ASAP.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle