Draft mockery (guards)

The one thing that really leaps out, looking at all
those mock drafts from professional sportswriters who
you'd think actually do some homework, is how loopy
this draft looks once you're past those first 5 or 6
picks. Bron, Darko, Melo, Ford, Kaman, Bosh and then,
bombs awayyyy ...

Some drafts have guys like Jarvis Hayes and Pavel
Podkolzin in the lotto, others way down in the first.
Frankly, I was worried by the look of that CNNSI.com
mock draft that had the C's picking two shooting
guards. I'm not averse to taking a guy like Hayes if
he's a real can't-miss third scoring option, but there
seem to be some widespread concerns about the guy's
ball-handling and defense. Unless there's a wingman
who's just head and shoulders above the PGs and bigs
available, I truly hope the C's will look to plug
their most glaring holes.

Ray, you don't like the Diaw pick. I'd say that if the
best PGs (Hinrich, Barbosa, Gaines) are gone, the C's
might be better off letting Boris learn the position
than bringing in a second-tier collegiate PG like
Marcus Moore, Marcus Banks or Mo Williams. None of
those guys can do all three of the things I think Obie
and Ainge will insist on: hit the outside shot, run an
offense and defend. Guys like Chris Thomas seem like a
step even further below. Diaw, from the sound of him,
combines the best aspects of the 3Ms: he's got size,
defends, is no worse a shooter than the other three,
and I actually like the idea that he defers to his
teammates. Isn't that what we usually wanted Kenny to
do?

Personally, I will be very disappointed if Gaines is
there and the Celtics pass. He may never be a lead
guard, but he could be a good complement to the
Bremer/Delk combo if Barbosa is gone.