Treatment of Baker entering next phase

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 5/16/2003

fter a monthlong stay at Silver Hill Hospital in New Canaan, Conn., for
alcohol rehabilitation and approximately six weeks as a daily outpatient, Vin
Baker is about to enter the ''transition phase'' of his treatment, according
to league sources and sources familiar with Baker's situation.

Team doctor Arnold Scheller is coordinating a plan for Baker as he makes a
transition back to Boston and the Celtics. Within the next couple of weeks,
Baker is expected to begin training for a return to the team in preseason.

Although owner Wyc Grousbeck legally is not allowed to comment on the
specifics of Baker's situation, he said, ''We have heard positive reports from
Vin and his representatives about how things are going with Vin. We're behind
Vin. He is a Celtic. We hear that things are going well and we're very, very
pleased with that. We'll be looking forward to welcoming him back this fall.
That is our goal. We've expressed that to Vin and his family and his
representatives that our goal is to have him ready to kick some butt in the
green and white. And that's the plan for the fall.''

Following a rough period of adjustment the first week at Silver Hill, all
parties involved in the Baker situation are encouraged by recent developments
and Baker's progress since he was suspended by the Celtics Feb. 27 for
''personal issues.''

Baker has talked with coach Jim O'Brien, and according to friend and adviser
Jay Nkonoki, Baker will speak publicly for the first time since seeking
treatment after legal matters related to the suspension are resolved. The team
and Silver Hill now want to make sure Baker has the proper support system of
counselors and psychologists in place when he makes his return to NBA life.

''Speaking for Vin, he is prepared and excited about resuming his career with
the Celtics,'' said attorney Stephen Singleteary, one of his representatives.
''Vin appreciates all the support he has been given by the organization,
teammates, family, friends, and fans.''

Added Nkonoki: ''Vin is very optimistic about his future.''

At home in Connecticut, Baker has taken steps to disassociate from friends who
would not fit with his new, sober lifestyle. Baker has also hired new
representation, including Singleteary, for help with the suspension and
related matters. His agent, Aaron Goodwin, was fired shortly after the team
announced the suspension.

The Celtics and Baker's new representation continue to deal with the Players
Association's objection to the suspension conditions. The union extended its
deadline to file a grievance on the matter until mid-May. Yesterday, a league
source familiar with the case said a second extension has been filed.

The union was upset it was not kept informed of the dealings between Baker and
Boston, which resulted in a suspension in which Baker lost a significant
amount of money. Based on the $12.4 million Baker was set to earn for this
past season, he stood to lose approximately $3.4 million owed him for the
remainder of the regular season. But part of the suspension agreement was that
Baker would receive some portion of the pay being withheld. Still, the Players
Association is not satisfied.

Before his suspension, Baker averaged 5.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 18.1
minutes per game. Those numbers were certainly not what the Celtics expected
when they acquired him, along with Shammond Williams, from the Sonics in
exchange for Kenny Anderson, Vitaly Potapenko, and Joseph Forte July 22, 2002.
When the Celtics reacquired backup center Mark Blount at the trading deadline,
it was clear the team was not satisfied with Baker's performances. In fact,
Baker did not play because of coach's decisions in the three games prior to
his suspension.

But even before the trade for another center and the string of DNPs, the
groundwork for the suspension was laid at a Feb. 10 meeting among Baker,
Goodwin, Baker's father, James, ownership, and management. The meeting came
after Baker suffered heart palpitations and missed the Celtics' first game
against his former team, the Sonics, at the FleetCenter Feb. 5. Cardiologists
not involved in Baker's case said alcohol can trigger a heart arrhythmia,
which patients feel as heart palpitations.

In light of what happened throughout February, Baker sought treatment at
Silver Hill, which is located approximately 60 miles from Baker's hometown of
Old Saybrook. The hospital treats alcohol, drug, and gambling addictions, as
well as depression and mental illness.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of A.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of Big.gif]