rationale

This is my explanation of why I would trade Antoine.  To begin with, I don't put my experience or knowledge about the game above others.  I was a gym rat growing up.  During the Christmas holidays, I used to leave the back door to the girls gym unlocked so I could sneak into the high school every day and shoot.  I played through my junior year when my back problems cancelled what was soon to be inevitable.  I could shoot and I could dribble, but I didn't have the body to progress any further.  Like a lot a you, had I been 6'10" everyone would know my name.  Alas.  So, you can see that I'm about average in my own experiences with the game.

Fast forward to last Fall when I cancelled my Direct TV NBA package.  I couldn't stand watching the Celtics any more.  What should have been nirvana had turned into nightmare.  I could see all 82 games, but most of them made me livid.  I'm too old to shout at my own players and coaches the way I did for that one year.  Some of you will remember that I wrote the "Walker--Pathetic" contribution to the list.  For the most part I regretted that short piece written in anger, but the content I still agree with.  It was after a loss to the Bulls, Walker was trying single-handedly to bring us back, throwing up shots no one could make, it was pitiful.  Since then, I've tried to figure it out.  How could someone with so many abilities fail to contribute in a commensurate way?

Well, it's got to be his whole psyco-basketball makeup.  He proved early on that he's one of the better rebounders in the entire league, but he has moved away from contributing in that way.  When he does stay low and rebound like he can, it's like a glimmer of what used to be--oh, yeah, I remember when he used to do that every game.  He can handle the ball very well for his size.  Sure, but that is as much a liability as an asset.  Not only does that lead to excessive turnovers, an array of poorly timed and executed shots, the exclusion of teammates in the "offense," but it helps turn us into a two-man, one-on-one or die pattern of ball possession.  What he can do extremely well in pick-up games doesn't translate into winning in the NBA.  He clearly has no governor on his shot selection--what shots or when to take them.  And this is after seven years in the league.  Friends, most of us could shoot 30% in the league.  I found myself hoping he would miss his first three point attempt in hopes that he would not take many more.  And I'm sure he practices them aplenty.  He just is a poor shooter.   When he gets on a roll, he scores quite well, and when not, he keeps on shooting; but a shooter still has to justify his shots and Walker just keeps chunking.  A true team player contributes where he can while getting easier shots and building back his stroke.  Walker just keeps firing away.  Further, Walker has inserted himself into the team mix in a way that overwhelms the coach.  Would we be better off had Pitino traded Walker for J. O'Neal?  Would we be better off by pursuing a trade for Elton Brand?  Like someone said recently, his versatility is a negative for the team.  He is so puffed up about his versatility that he can't contribute what the team needs.  It does seem to be more psychology than basketball ability.  He is captive to a self-image that is sadly beginning to crumble.  And I don't see him being able to change.  Somewhere in here, I think we have to choose a different future.  The past is what we!
  are get

ting with Walker.  It's like the movie "Groundhog Day."  Every season will resemble the last until someone excises the cancer.  Sooner or later, this (team) mediocrity that breeds contempt will have to be dealt with.  I'm for doing it now.  Cheers, Gene