Charlotte interested in Carr

By Jackie MacMullan, Globe Staff, 5/16/2003

.L. Carr, who has been a player, coach, and general manager for the Celtics,
has been contacted by Charlotte's new expansion owner, Bob Johnson, about
joining their team as a consultant.

Carr, who was part of the group headed by Boston businessman Steve Belkin and
Hall of Famer Larry Bird that tried and failed to secure the Charlotte
franchise, confirmed yesterday he and Johnson have talked about a position
that would take advantage of his considerable connections in North Carolina.

Carr grew up in Wallace, N.C., played at Guilford College, and remains a
member of the school's board. He also maintains a summer home in the state. He
spent last season as the GM of the WNBA's Charlotte Sting, developing
relationships with local corporations in hopes of securing financial support
for the team.

''I've had some conversations with Bob,'' Carr said yesterday from his Waltham
office. ''We talked about me helping out on the revenue side. We'll see where
it goes.

''I was very excited when it became apparent that pro basketball was coming
back to my home state. I was excited to play a part in helping that happen
[last year], and was looking forward to continuing to play a role in it. ''

Johnson has already named Ed Tapscott to run his basketball operations,
although speculation persists that Michael Jordan, who was ousted by the
Washington Wizards, will wind up in Charlotte's front office.

Carr spoke with Bird last night and Bird ''totally endorsed'' the idea of Carr
joining Johnson's group.

''Larry said he was really excited for me,'' said Carr, ''and that we gave it
our best shot and it was time for me to move on.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of M.gif]