Re: Personnel Moves

--- You wrote:
I don't know about that.  I think the Cs could probably get some real
interest from the Blazers and Nuggets.  I suspect the Hawks would do the
'Reef for 'Toine trade in a heartbeat.  I hope the Cs don't.
--- end of quote ---

Nothing wrong with 'Reef. He's not the "leader" that Toine is purported to be,
but we have leaders galore. He's the anti-Toine in many respects - an efficient
scorer, doesn't particularly like the three (< 1/game) but shoots it better
than Twan, excellent foul shooter,  "longer" at the same height, good defender,
decent shotblocker,  doesn't seem to think he's a lot better than he is,
doesn't try to do what he can't do, keeps himself in great shape, and
apparently doesn't care about being the top dog. In other words, he's the
perfect complement to Pierce (since we're not likely to get  KG, C-Webb,
Duncan, or even  'Sheed). He's accused of never having been on a good team, but
I'm not sure how much it's his fault. I'd do it, because he's better than Toine
in many facets of the game and, most importantly, wouldn't distort the makeup
of the team the way Toine does. You wanna know why the Celtics don't run? I'd
bet you anything it's because Toine doesn't want to. But 'Reef would - he's a
greyhound.

--- You wrote:
 It'd be nice to add an
experienced point guard and a young big guy with upside (Chandler/Kwame
Brown/Zach Randolph), but barring a haul like that I'm more in the "rein
him in" [and yes, I mean R-E-I-N, as in controlling a horse, not
"R-E-I-G-N", as in rule] camp.
--- end of quote ---

We've been over this before many times. This is Toine's 7th season, and it's
still all about what Toine wants. If Pitino and Jordan couldn't change him, why
would talking to Ainge do the trick? The only people that might have an outside
chance of reining Toine in would be Riles and Phil Jackson, but I wouldn't even
bet good money on that. Phil Jackson certainly has had his struggles with Kobe,
who's sort of like a much more talented Toine.
The worst thing that could happen, IMO, is Toine saying all the right things to
Ainge, knowing it's his contract year and he can get the most money in Boston.
If Ainge were to give him a chance, Toine would tone down his crap enough to
get a new max contract, and then we're stuck with the same old Twan at new,
bigger money for 6 or 7 more years.  Toine is not an impressionable 18-year-old
with a malleable personality. He's an extremely stubborn "superstar" (in his
own mind) who'll do his own thing no matter what. His faults, physical and
mental, won't go away. (Remember howJordan and Hardaway, two of his most
influential friends, described him?) Some years ago, there used to be
discussions on this list about how he might mature as he gets older. Well, he
has. WYSIWYG. All this talk about him becoming a complementary player, a Pippen
to Pierce's Jordan, is pure folly. He needs to go - not immediately, but as
soon Ainge finds the best deal for him. Then the Obie situation needs to be
addressed, as discussed in several previous posts.

--- You wrote:
To me, the most encouraging thing Ainge has said is that he sees Kedrick
Brown as another Shawn Marion rather than another Tracy McGrady.  The way
O'B has used (or, rather, misused) Brown epitomizes everything that's
wrong with this offense.
--- end of quote ---

I sincerely hope Ainge is correct about this (i.e., that KB's not limited to
developing into a poor man's Bruce Bowen). In any case, Kedrick's stock is low
right now, and can only improve next year (either because of his play or
because he'll be nearing the end of his rookie contract). The worst that can
happen, he'll prove himself to be a bust even with more PT and a different
offensive strategy (that I believe the Celtics will be employing next year with
or without Obie), but will be modestly attractive around the trade deadline as
an expiring salary.  And if he blooms and replaces EWill or Waltuh as the
starting SF, so much the better. He certainly has the physical gifts to be a
legit NBA starting SF. We'll find out next season whether he has the game to go
along with it.
Kestas