Walker

Barring a miraculous return to form tonight, I think
it's pretty clear Antoine has worn out his welcome as
far as Ainge will be concerned ... And barring a
miraculous buy-out of Baker's conract, I agree with
those who say that moving Walker is likely Boston's
only real chance of getting better for the next
several years.

BUT ... this probably goes without saying, but I hope
Danny will evaluate any prospective trade not just by
saying, "Will this make the Celtics better," but,
"Will this help us win banner 17?" In looking at the
various names that have been kicked around this list
in recent days - Jalen Rose, Brian Grant, Steve Nash,
etc. etc. - does moving Antoine for any one of those
guys make the Celtics a title contender? Because
although the team probably HAS maxed out with the
current lineup and the Baker cap killer, Walker does
present a unique mix of talent. If we trade him for a
rebounder, we need a frontcourt scorer. If we trade
him for a ball-handler, we need a rebounder ... etc.

Maybe what I'm saying is, any package of Walker for
other players needs to be part of an overall series of
moves. Packaging the two first-rounders to get into
the lotto, say. Judicious use of both the $1 million
and middle-class exemptions. I mean, ownership simply
cannot tell Ainge he has to sit around 3 years before
Baker comes off the books. Those exemptions have to be
put into play, even if the team takes a short-term cap
hit. In this case, NOT to throw good money after bad
would be a serious mistake. And if we're not going to
get any better than a mid-playoff team that maybe has
a shot to win a round or two, well, why deal Walker at
all?