Re: Walker

Ainge has made clear, both before and after his new job, that he felt the
Celtics gave up too soon on some of the players they had, and that the
Celtics definitely need a point guard.  I've been on record before as
believing they need a center more, but the point is, he's not unaware of
the situation.  Neither will he rush into any panic deals.  The main
question, I think, is whether they can get a consensus between Ainge,
O'Brien, and the owners.  Everyone needs to work together on this, as it is
probably the last chance for the C's to construct a stronger team without
another decade of rebuilding.

I think waiting makes sense for a number of reasons.  First, we need to see
what happens with Baker.  The Celtics CANNOT just drop him unless they
somehow et at least part of their money back.  They need to see if he can
straighten out his problems sufficiently to come back and play
meaningfully--for Boston or anyone else.  That's a total question mark now,
as there's been no news whatsoever about Baker's condition or progress (or
lack thereof).

Second, Baker's condition determines what other deals get made.  Absent
Baker, they may HAVE to trade Walker if they want the point guard or
center.  BTW, I noticed there's no moss on Danny as he quipped that Zo
would "look good in green".  If Mourning was reasonable about money until
he proved his physical condition was good, I think the C's could work a
deal.  That presumes, of course, that the Heat don't hold on to him, which
I expect they'll do.

While the C's have good role players in McCarty, Delk, Williams, etc., the
league is loaded with those.  The other teams don't really need them,
barring injuries.  They might get packaged in a trade, but make no
mistake--as much as other teams, coaches and announcers tend to bash
Walker, they'd love to have him on their team.  I think all the trade talk
is FAR too premature.  I think it'll be a lot closer to draft day before
any such decisions are made, even hypothetically.

At 09:53 AM 5/12/03 -0700, Peter Delevett wrote:
>Barring a miraculous return to form tonight, I think
>it's pretty clear Antoine has worn out his welcome as
>far as Ainge will be concerned ... And barring a
>miraculous buy-out of Baker's conract, I agree with
>those who say that moving Walker is likely Boston's
>only real chance of getting better for the next
>several years.
>
>BUT ... this probably goes without saying, but I hope
>Danny will evaluate any prospective trade not just by
>saying, "Will this make the Celtics better," but,
>"Will this help us win banner 17?" In looking at the
>various names that have been kicked around this list
>in recent days - Jalen Rose, Brian Grant, Steve Nash,
>etc. etc. - does moving Antoine for any one of those
>guys make the Celtics a title contender? Because
>although the team probably HAS maxed out with the
>current lineup and the Baker cap killer, Walker does
>present a unique mix of talent. If we trade him for a
>rebounder, we need a frontcourt scorer. If we trade
>him for a ball-handler, we need a rebounder ... etc.
>
>Maybe what I'm saying is, any package of Walker for
>other players needs to be part of an overall series of
>moves. Packaging the two first-rounders to get into
>the lotto, say. Judicious use of both the $1 million
>and middle-class exemptions. I mean, ownership simply
>cannot tell Ainge he has to sit around 3 years before
>Baker comes off the books. Those exemptions have to be
>put into play, even if the team takes a short-term cap
>hit. In this case, NOT to throw good money after bad
>would be a serious mistake. And if we're not going to
>get any better than a mid-playoff team that maybe has
>a shot to win a round or two, well, why deal Walker at
>all?

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle