Re: Pride of Ownership

<< Egg contridicts herself by saying "good point" then pointing out what
I was going to: >>

Well so much for the food shopping today. Thankfully there is one can
of peanuts left in the cabinet.

Mark P. - Where's the contradiction?  The point is still a good and
stimulating one no matter how any of us choose to address it. In fact,
had RickDHome's point not stimulated our interest, you and I would
likely not have bothered to even respond to the thread.

Is your real gripe that the poster referred to it as the Pierce era as
opposed to your preferred Pierce & Walker era?

Egg

------- MarkP wrote:
>>< I believe that the botched drafts, and the Baker fiasco have effectively
>>slammed the door on the Pierce era. > - RickDHome
>
><<eggcentric wrote>>:
>Good point. After five seasons with the Celts, Pierce has be frustrated
>by ending up with Delk, Blount, and Bremer as the only additions to
>the same old tired nucleus of himself, Walker, Battie, Williams, and
>McCarty.  But he is, believe it or not, still only 25 yrs. old, and the old
>man (Walker) is still only 26 yrs. old.

I've read this idea a number of times on the list -- that the Baker
Trade (which I agree is probably the worst in Celtic history) closes
the door on the "Pierce Era" (as opposed to the "Pierce & Walker Era)
and that we should therefore "blow-up" the team.  I just don't
believe that's true.

Egg contridicts herself by saying "good point" then pointing out what
I was going to:

Pierce is only 26.  By the time Baker, Battie, Delk & Brown all
become FA's -- he'll still only be 29.

In my mind Ainge's task over the next 2 years is to try and purge the
team of overpriced talent and add good young talent through the draft
(that's been Wallace/Pitino's biggest weak point).

I think Detroit and San Antonio have both showed that you can do both
through good overseas scouting (SA: Parker, Ginobili & Giricek (who
they actually had at one point), DET: Okur, Rebracca) and solid
drafting.

Another example -- though he's been vilified lately -- is to look at
the talent Jordan had assembled at Washington before he came back.
He was building a nice young team and had about as little to work
with as we did.

Its not going to be easy but its hardly undoable.  Its not like we're
in the situation the Knicks or Jazz are in.

- mark