Personnel Moves

Tommy Harris wrote:

<<Face it, unless we can trade Walker to either the Bulls or the
Clippers, no one else in the league is going to touch him.>>

I don't know about that.  I think the Cs could probably get some real
interest from the Blazers and Nuggets.  I suspect the Hawks would do the
'Reef for 'Toine trade in a heartbeat.  I hope the Cs don't.

I certainly think Ainge should explore what he can get for Antoine, along
with every other player on the team except Pierce.  It'd be nice to add an
experienced point guard and a young big guy with upside (Chandler/Kwame
Brown/Zach Randolph), but barring a haul like that I'm more in the "rein
him in" [and yes, I mean R-E-I-N, as in controlling a horse, not
"R-E-I-G-N", as in rule] camp.  If I'm Danny Ainge, I sit down with Paul
and Antoine immediately after the season ends, compliment them on how far
they've taken the team, and then point out that they've gone as far as
they can go with this unit and its offensive "philosophy" (which gives new
meaning to the word "offensive").  Ainge should focus on the team's
primary deficiencies -- lack of motion, shot selection and rebounding --
and point out that the team has been too reliant on both of them to offset
those deficiencies.  Consequently, Ainge will tell them he's going to get
a real point guard and some rebounding help.  The 3 point shot will
continue to be a weapon, but the new yardstick will be total offensive
efficiency.  There's nothing wrong with an open midrange jumpshot.

To me, the most encouraging thing Ainge has said is that he sees Kedrick
Brown as another Shawn Marion rather than another Tracy McGrady.  The way
O'B has used (or, rather, misused) Brown epitomizes everything that's
wrong with this offense.  Tony Delk is the only guy on the team whose
principal offensive role should be to stand behind the arc waiting for the
kickout.  McCarty and Bremer can do it on occasion when they're feeling
it, but not the whole game.  Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown should never
do it.

<<Speaking of OB, one day he will realize that W McCarty
and Tony Delk are both role players who should come off of the bench.>>

They certainly are.  But who should start in their place?  I'd love to see
Kedrick start at the 3, but not if he's just going to stand in the corner.
 And I think bringing Bremer off the bench for the playoffs is better in
the long run.

<<I just hope the scouts can do better with foreign prospects
than Chris Wallace ... I mean J Sesar, B Pepper - give me a break!!!!>>

Couldn't agree more.  Don't forget that the Cs traded two second round
picks to get Sesar.  And I believe one of those picks became Earl Watson,
and another was used by the Knicks when Loren Woods was still on the
board.  And then, of course, there's the Kris Clack pick... which San
Antonio followed two slots later with Manu Ginobili.

The biggest Wallace-related quandary for Celtic historians will be whether
Phyllis George would have been a better GM.

Michael Gooen