Re: win

--- You wrote:
We didn't trade away any real value, IMO, if Kenny and Forte were going to
possibly be trouble this year.  Without an extension would Kenny have played
like last year or the few he took off the prior years? (Not counting when he
was injured)  What about Forte?  Geez, what a shame.  Thank goodness he is
gone.  VP?  We all know he would always give 110%.  After the injury healed,
would that ever be enough?
--- end of quote ---

Forget the value of these players (even though Kenny fetched a very
serviceable, if aging, center in Campbell). Just imagine letting Kenny play out
his contract and come off the cap. We'd have a limited, but somewhat useful big
body in Pot, and Forte on a rookie contract. Even if Kenny and Pot were
completely worthless, and Forte were wearing the opposing team's jersey to
every game, we still would have been  8 or 9 mil. under where we will be this
summer and would be no worse off in terms of performance. You can sign a very
good player with the mid-level exception and add some more around the edges
without worrying about the luxury tax. And I have an inkling that Pot and Kenny
would've helped us more than Baker did this year, simply because it's
impossible to help less (well, I suppose Vinnie could've stumbled into Pierce
in practice and wrecked Paul's knee or something).

--- You wrote:
This isn't over either.  Baker may be back next year after rehab.  The fact
that he agreed to what he agreed to is actually positive.  If he comes back
he "may" be able to contribute.  His "upside" is there.  If he's gone we
should get a medical exception like Zo that can be used even if we're over
the cap.  It's not like Miami has gotten much from Zo and after collecting
big checks the past couple years he may walk on them anyway.
--- end of quote ---

He agreed because they likely had something on him - i.e., he was given the
proverbial offer he couldn't refuse.  I seriously doubt we'll get any kind of
relief from the league for Baker's contract. Regis Lewis DIED and we were
forced to carry his salary on our cap for the duration  of his contract. If
Baker comes back and plays well, it will be a major miracle, especially given
that Obie is not exactly a member of his fan club (which apparently still has a
few members). I hope for the sake of the Celtics that the imposible happens,
but the probability of this is vanishingly small.
Kestas