Re: win

Snip... >And I just love your justification for the Baker trade, where
trading a decent
>value for an emotionally fragile alcoholic and completely clogging your
salary
>cap situation for years is termed "swinging for the fences".

Well I was one who thought it was swinging for the fences like Cecil and I
supported the risk, though I thought the C's needed to get a first or two
seconds out of it as well.  But move Kenny, get rid of Forte and the salary
of VP (who I liked but wasn't part of the long term here) and wasn't going
to play for half a year anyway.  If we couldn't move all three any other
way.....  I didn't hear ANY actual trade possibilities that were for value
either.

We didn't trade away any real value, IMO, if Kenny and Forte were going to
possibly be trouble this year.  Without an extension would Kenny have played
like last year or the few he took off the prior years? (Not counting when he
was injured)  What about Forte?  Geez, what a shame.  Thank goodness he is
gone.  VP?  We all know he would always give 110%.  After the injury healed,
would that ever be enough?

A lot of flotsam in exchange for a former all star who always wanted to play
for the C's since a kid, with very good hands, who would have a chance to be
a dominate 5 in the East, who's father the minister was going to baby-sit
for him and his whole family/support group was going to be there for him.
Who "said" all the right things as a likable, personable local guy.  A heck
of a risk.  It didn't pay off this year, needless to say.

This isn't over either.  Baker may be back next year after rehab.  The fact
that he agreed to what he agreed to is actually positive.  If he comes back
he "may" be able to contribute.  His "upside" is there.  If he's gone we
should get a medical exception like Zo that can be used even if we're over
the cap.  It's not like Miami has gotten much from Zo and after collecting
big checks the past couple years he may walk on them anyway.

The Baker thing is why I question the drafting of 3 guys that play the 2-3
in the same draft. But that's a different rant.

<Jim