Re: Celtics just lucky?

At 05:46 PM 3/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
First, this didn't raise my hackles over showing our warts, because I'm good with stats and data analysis and can come up with a bunch of worse ones if I wanted. I can make those suckers dance and sing and play the ukelele. But c'mon Egg --- his article about his own 'brilliant' deduction that the Cs are just lucky derives from one of those superficially enticing assumptions for idiots misleading points - if you win you score more points, therefore average points scored should be better than average points given up or the winner is just lucky.
I wasn't going to join in this bashfest, but what the heck, with 6 straight losses, I'm not feeling very charitable - alhough I probably should, as this might increase the odds of the ownership's making some changes in the offseason. Anyway...
Yeah, the guy has stumbled into some simple probability concepts by wildly stabbing around in the dark, but he has no idea he has just rediscovered the wheel. Don't say - things that are unlikely....don't happen very often?!! Things that ARE very likely happen more often than those that aren't?! Wow! You're a few hundred years behind, buddy, but what the heck, most sportswriters can't even do that. Nominate him for a Fields Medal for these major "discoveries" in probability theory! Give him some funding! He might discover next that scoring more points in a game than the other team is perfectly correlated with your winning percentage.
Kestas