Re: T.J. Ford

"I don't have a lot of respect for someone who can't score a lot..." Texas coach Rick Barnes said.

Isn't that sort of a narrow minded view? Doesn't this coach realize there is a lot more to the game than just scoring?

From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
To: "'celtics@igtc.com'" <celtics@igtc.com>
Subject: T.J. Ford
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:08:34 -0500

ESPN.com just named T.J. Ford its college player of the year. This is a guy
who averaged 14 points a game and shot around 41 percent from the field. So
why is he the player of the year? Because he's the kind of point guard I
dream of running the Celtics. Read this story, including some glowing quotes
from opponents and his coach, and tell me he doesn't sound like a dream of a
player.--Mark

The stats of a player of the year candidate are certainly important, but
they're not everything. Numbers certainly played a role, but weren't the
determining factor in deciding ESPN.com's Player of the Year.
Just ask the leading candidates.
"I would look at (his) importance to their team, the leadership ability,"
Boston College senior guard Troy Bell said.
"Yeah, I'd look for a leader, someone who could also defend, score and make
everyone around him better," Oklahoma senior guard Hollis Price said.
"You want a guy who has courage, so that the guys who are following you know
you won't back down," Wake Forest senior forward Josh Howard said. "You want
a guy who is determined, who has leadership, who can score and defend."
The guy you want is Texas sophomore point guard T.J. Ford.
"I love T.J. ... that's the guy," Price said.
ESPN.com couldn't agree more, which is why Ford emerged from a crowded group
as The One.
Arguments will be made for Bell, Price, Howard, Xavier's David West,
Marquette's Dwyane Wade, Syracuse's Carmelo Anthony or even Kansas' Nick
Collison. The race for national player of the year was the closest in recent
memory, and will likely mean a number of split votes for various awards.
Ford certainly isn't the only one who fits our criteria this season. Heck,
Ford didn't even win the media or coaches award in the Big 12. Price got the
media vote, Collison the coaches.
But ESPN.com's choice for national player of the year goes to Ford.
"Ford is real quick, maybe not the best shooter ... but somehow he gets it
done," Bell said. "He's a good penetrator, plays good defense and is a lot
more athletic than most little guys because I've see him throw it down a few
times. I don't have a lot of respect for someone who can't score a lot, but
T.J. can get it done. He scores a little bit and I respect him for that.''
"He's obsessed with winning, winning every game, winning the national
championship," Texas coach Rick Barnes said. "He wants to win so bad, to win
it all. That's the most important thing to him. That's what he's about."
Ford has made Texas what it has become over the past two seasons -- a
national title contender. Without him, the Longhorns aren't nearly as good,
maybe not even among the top four teams in the Big 12, let alone among the
top four teams in the country.
This 5-foot-10 dynamo is that important to the Longhorns. Texas has a shot
to win the national title because of his ability to set a game's tone,
dominate on the offensive end with both his creativity that results in easy
shots for everyone else, as well as himself.
Forget about being just a sophomore. Ford can carry the Longhorns to the
title -- this year.
"Everybody talks about experience. But if you ask any coach in the country
to pick experience or talent, they'll take talent," Barnes said. "There's no
question that experience is important, but he's averaged 35 minutes a game
over his career. He's a quick learner and seldom makes the same mistakes
twice."
Ford, never shy about being the Big Man on Campus every time Texas takes to
the court, understands the demands placed on him since arriving in Austin.
"For us to win, yes I do have to play well," Ford said. "My teammates know
that. I've got to keep it all organized. It's like the quarterback in
football. I've got to be the communicator."
Guards win championships in today's college basketball, and the Longhorns
are never out of a game with Ford on the court.
"My job when I came here was to make everyone better," Ford said. "My job is
to get everyone in the right spots and get them to feel comfortable. My
attitude is to be the best on the court. I just want to outwork my teammates
and that mindset carries over to my teammates."
"I'm not sure there is better choice than T.J. Ford for national player of
the year," Barnes said. "Just think about the way he controls the game. It's
impressive. He can beat you in different ways.
"The confidence that he plays with is a major factor on our team. When his
teammates look at him it makes them feel like they've got a chance even if
we're down 15, we're never out of it because they know he's such a fierce
competitor."
Ford may only have two seasons of college ball under his belt, but is likely
to leave for the NBA just like the above mentioned seniors -- not to mention
the one junior (Wade) and freshman (Anthony). And regardless of where he
lands, he won't lose his best attribute, his burning desire to win.
And that's why Ford has to be involved in every play on the court. He
doesn't disappear. He's always around the ball, making plays, ensuring that
Texas is in position to win.
That's why he's ESPN.com's choice as the one player among this mix deemed
the most irreplaceable, which makes him the best in 2003.