Re: Miscellaneous thoughts

In a message dated 3/11/2003 6:23:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Celtic4Hire@AOL.com writes:

> I like your ideas about the twenty-year olds. I have always held we need a
> minor league like baseball.

Perhaps he or she who had this idea will come forward, but the idea was sort
of like this:  you can sign a player, but he serves a maximum of seven
"developmental years," starting when he is a high school senior.  A senior
gets signed to a seven year rookie contract; play one year of college, you
get a six year contract; graduate college, you get a three year contract.
This way, you avoid some of the risk now inherent in having to pay LeBron
James $60 kazillion for three years, when he might really bust out in year 4
or 5.  I.e., you probably see what a player really can do before you have to
pony up the megabucks.

20 as an age limit ain't bad either.