Re: Miscellaneous thoughts

Mark,

I am the first to admit that I wear green-tinted
glasses, and my nomination of Pierce for POY should be
taken with a grain of salt.  But he does as much for
the Celtics night in and night out as McGrady does for
the Magic; Antoine's contribution is not more than the
combined talents of Drew Gooden, Mike Miller, and all
of Orlando's other good players, not including Grant
Hill.  And all that aside, as good as McGrady is, I'd
still take Pierce over him in any game that had to be
won -- though I would agree that McGrady's having a
better year.

But the thing that really got me is your suggestion
that McGrady is better right now than Dominique, who
you dismiss as "just a dunker."  I was under the
impression that you were around my age (35).  Anyone
who saw Dominque play in his prime would know that he
was a devastating scoring machine with range all the
way out to the arc, the most dependable bank shot in
the NBA, and an ability to create, and hit, his own
shot from anywhere on the floor.  His game was much
more sound than McGrady's, who still gets by on pure
talent.  I also consider it ludicrous to compare his
crude offensive assault with Scottie Pippen, who is to
my mind the most perfect "pure" quick forward to ever
play the game.  McGrady is probably closer to Kedrick
Brown in terms of fundamentals than he is to Pippen.
Don't get me wrong, the guy's a monster, and he's even
developed something of a mid-range game this season,
but he's a lot more Michael Vick than Joe Montana.

Josh

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/bucher_ric/1521607.html

http://webhosting.yahoo.com