Miscellaneous thoughts

Celtics and NBA-related...

... I don't believe for a second that Vescey knows squat about the owners'
plans for Wallace. That's an ownership decision, and I find it hard to
believe Vescey has the ear of Grousbeck (doesn't that sound like something
you'd need to cast a spell or vanquish a demon or something?). No way.
Wallace may survive if the team delivers at least a repeat trip to the
conference finals. Anything less, and he has to be gone.

... Josh, I read your latest column, and you absolutely have to take off the
green-tinted glasses. For those who haven't read it, he discusses the Player
of the Year candidates and concludes that if the Celtics win the East,
Pierce is the Player of the Year. Josh, Pierce has had about one month when
he performed at last season's level. The rest of the time, including
recently, he clearly has been a touch off. He has had a good year, not a
great year. You compare him to McGrady and say he is Bird to McGrady's
Dominique. Please... That's an insult to both Bird and McGrady. Pierce isn't
in Bird's class, and McGrady is far more than the dunker that Dominique was.
McGrady is Pippen with a mean streak. He's just a smidgeon of mental
toughness and maturity away from being unreal. Pierce for most of this
season has seemed distracted and unhappy. It goes back to the Eastern
Conference Finals, through the World Championships and into this season.
There has been a little bit of selfishness in his game. It isn't always
there, but it shows up from time to time. Anyway, as for the Player of the
Year... Duncan, Garnett, Kobe (you eliminate Kobe because of Shaq-why?) and
T-Mac are in a four-man sprint to the finish. You don't mention Jason Kidd,
who has been fantastic again this season. He should round out the top five.
There are lots of other players I'd put ahead of Pierce-Nowitzki, Iverson,
Ben Wallace come to mind right away. They may or may not be better players,
but they've had better seasons. Last season was the time to make the case
for Pierce.

... What does everyone think of this proposed 20-year-old age limit? I think
it will do more to help the quality of college basketball players (although
not necessarily college basketball-some kids will be going to college who
have no business being there). I don't think it's the answer. I still think
the NBA should tailor it like baseball's system. In baseball, kids are
automatically eligible for the draft after high school, but if they set foot
on a college campus, they aren't eligible to be drafted or sign a pro
baseball contract for at least two seasons. The NBA should give kids the
opportunity to declare for the draft after high school, but make the age
limit for playing in the league 20. Kids who are drafted out of high school
would have to spend a year or two playing in the developmental league before
joining the NBA. That eliminates the problem of teen-agers coming into the
league too soon while still giving kids who don't want to go to college an
option.

... If you get a chance, check out this Ric Bucher piece on ESPN.com:
http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/bucher_ric/1521607.html
<http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/bucher_ric/1521607.html>  Some interesting
stuff from Mike Dunleavy. I think both Dunleavy and Bucher use the wrong
word when they say "selfish." I think "aggressive" would be more accurate.
There's little room for passivity in the NBA, and Dunleavy is figuring that
out. It's something Kedrick seemingly never will and Joe Johnson only
figures out on occasion (dating back to his college days). Some guys get it,
others don't. There's also an interesting note in there about the fact that
the first round of the playoffs are going to seven games so that revenue
will go up, therefore inflating the salary cap. Doesn't that also determine
the luxury tax? It's going to be very interesting to see if the Celts pay
the tax or not. Wallace made a big deal of signing Mikki Moore/Grant Long,
saying "we're going to be taxpayers" but are they? I'm not so sure.

... What did everyone think of the Eric Williams ejection Sunday night?
Watching it at full-speed, when it happened, I thought it was justified.
Watching the replay, it wasn't as violent as it appeared. But the officials
don't have that advantage.

... These next two weeks should be fun. Make or break time against some of
the best.

Mark