Re: Josh's talk with Wallace, etc.

< The question is, have they made any promises that would preclude them
from taking a slider at 16? There continue to be rumors that the Banks
promise isn't at 20, but at 16. > - Berry

This year's draft is more of a crap shoot than betting on a Mideast
peace settlement. Are you hoping for one of the four baby Shaqs to
slide to us at #16,  or would you prefer one of the forty remaining upside
embryos described as a ''poor man's''  Iverson, Duncan, McGrady, Bryant,
Malone, Davis, Wallace, Stockton, etc.? Being a poor man's whatever is
one thing; being a future poor man's whatever, is quite another.

Getting back to your question, Mark, the latest I have heard is that Ainge
has not yet made a final decision and is still looking into trading up,
trading
down, trading away, or staying with our two picks.  Thus the silence of the
Boston media lambs since nothing solid can or should be reported even at
a time when fans are starving for any scrap of exciting rumor.  At least
we have WayRay.

Ainge has neither confirmed nor denied the Banks rumor, having no reason
to do either.  Present thinking is that the rumor is the imaginative
strategy emanating from the Banks PR camp.  I guess talent is no longer
the issue.  These new wave draftees need PR hype and cunning to land a
spot with THEIR choice of team on the first round.  Agent Arn Tellem
owns the NBA.  Maybe Ashcroft will go after him for being a monopoly.
Better yet, why not just send Tellem right now to Guantanamo Bay.

Present thinking is also that Ainge's top priority is not in drafting a
PG or a rebounder, but a scoring/up tempo/good defense WING - with
our second pick slotted for the best non-wing player available at #20.

The time is long overdue for us to draft a winner.  Bowing to life's sense
of balance, I have a warm and fuzzy feeling this just might be our year.

Egg