Re: Thread from RealGM on Marcus Banks

< Pagliuca: "To be honest with you, I told the guys to just go for it after
Marcus kicked my butt one-on-one in the secret workout that we arranged
with him in Area 51. And I used to play for Duke, so I knew right then and
there that we had someone special in Marcus Banks. He's the best Marcus
the Celtics have had since Marcus Webb." > - Kestas

Hmmmpph - so what do you have against Marcusesses? It's a fine name.
Keep in mind Marcus Polo, Marcus Neiman, Marcus Miller, the outrageously
successful Marcus Bros. Textile Co., and a thousand unsung Marcusesses
out there now awaiting their chance for a tiny piece of the American
dream.

Banks is a fine young man and certainly you can't blame him for hiring
media-savvy Atty. Mark Geragos to handle his pre-draft PR.  Highly
visible to the hundreds of GM's and draft gurus at the Chicago tryouts
yesterday was the small plane which circled overhead trailing a banner,
''PG Marcus Banks. Why wait till #20?''

And, mightn't I remind you, Kestas, that this isn't exactly your father's
UNLV.  This college has cleaned up its act and become a scholastic
institution to be reckoned with.   All prospective students must now
show a combined college board score of at least 830 to even be
considered for admission.  And long gone are the medieval Tarkanian
days when the crafty old Shark did his recruiting at the local hoosegow.
In fact, truth be told, UNLV is now considered by many as ''The Princeton
of Glitter Gulch.''

Furthermore, to assuage your trepidation at the prospect of us drafting
this yearbs 13th ranked and 11th shortest PG at #20,  please keep in
mind that at least someone on the Celts, our own spunky little Pagliuca,
had the presence of mind to at least work out Banks in Area 51 and view
his assets first hand.  And, of course, my very own ''Deep Throat'' was
again right on the scene, reporting that Pagliuca was ahead 17-9 when
the ballsy Banks sank 11 in a row (5 from 3-pt. land) to destroy Steve-o
at their game of Twenty-one.

So, thanks to Steve-o, at least this will not be another case of us ranking
a sight-unseen draftee as No. 1 at his position.

Egg

< Wallace also said it was between Forte and Parker. ''Tony Parker was
the No.1- ranked point guard on our list,  but we made a decision to take
the best player on the board.'' >

< ''He (Parker) was mentioned, but nobody had really seen him play and it
was all through word of mouth,'' said Auerbach.>