Re: Thread from RealGM on Marcus Banks

At 04:59 PM 6/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
The guy who started the thread claims to be from UNLV and says the word
there is that Banks is a done deal to the Celts. He raves about Banks. Is it
true? Who knows?
I read the thread and this guy (rebelx) sounds like he's Banks's agent. For all we know, he very well might be. I love how this guy claims that Marcus Banks (is it the year of the Marcus or what?) will be telling Walker to get on the low block. Uh huh, sure....

If this Banks rumor is not just a smokescreen by Ainge, I'm scared. Haven't we been through this before? A promise to pick a (ex-)Juco player way earlier than his talent warrants. He's very athletic, but rough around the edges, has been putting up the numbers on a crappy team against crappy competition, and is a fine specimen. The only difference is he's 7 inches shorter than the last JuCo guy we outsmarted everyone with.

I can just hear Wallace's smug, self-congratulatory purr: "Our fans will find out very quickly what kind of player Ked... err, Marcus Banks is. Had we not made prior arrangements with his agent, he surely would've gone in the top 5 in this draft. His agent told us so in no uncertain terms. When you have an opportunity to draft a Top 5 player with the 16th pick, you do it every time..."
Ainge: "Upon consulting with Chris and Leo and running it by our scientific staff, I decided that we just couldn't pass up this opportunity. Jimmy also came aboard when we told him Marcus can shoot the 3 better than even Antoine. I've also been told by the top brain scientists we employ that Marcus has the right brain type to succeed in this league, the same one as Shawn Marion and the Grandmama. I think it's called UNLV or something. So look at it this way - we just got ourselves a 6-foot version of Grandmama."
Pagliuca: "To be honest with you, I told the guys to just go for it after Marcus kicked my butt one-on-one in the secret workout that we arranged with him in Area 51. And I used to play for Duke, so I knew right then and there that we had someone special in Marcus Banks. He's the best Marcus the Celtics have had since Marcus Webb."

Kestas