Re: Baffled and bummed

< But, if he's (James) ready to break out at PG, why were the Heat
desperate for a point then? Nobody had a better view of him than Riley.
Egg, can you fill us in on what the thinking might be behind all this? >

I wish I could, Kestas. But the truth is that I am also baffled and bummed.
Our own special little whirling dervish is so hyper, so pugnacious, so
deceptive and misleading with his doublespeak that even his own coaches
and players, along with important agents and the media have no clue as
to what will next pop in to his feisty little head.  He continues to spit
into wells he may someday have to drink from.

How about publicly expressing his disapproval of Obie's system, then
extending Obie's contract, then continuing to diss him?  Guess it's all okay
as long as he keeps repeating, ''We're on the same page.''

How about Danny naively admitting to casual summer league
enthusiast, JB, "The job (of changing our offense) is not over, I have
to convince  Antoine and Jimmy."  Wait, what happened to the ''We're
on the same page?''  Bring on the brain Doctor.  Let's get AW and Obie
checked out right now.

How about Danny ''I have no idea where that rumor came from''  Ainge
attempting to trade Walker for the 30 yr. old Juwan Howard and
testing the Walker waters with 27 other teams after going out of his
way to assure the now thoroughly confused Toine that he was not on
the trading block?

Here's a two-fer. How about Ainge announcing he was:
1) ''On a three-year plan''
 and
2) ''I can use the middle-class exception only if I feel we can get real
value for it,'' then correcting that to ''We don't have the middle-class
exception to spend''
then flying off to Utah and at the stroke of midnight, attempting to sweet
talk a groggy 40-yr. old Malone into becoming the first piece of our
three-year rebuilding program by signing for ... you guessed it ...
the middle- class exception we didn't have.

How about Danny, although separately impressed with Banks, yielding
to Wallace and Papile's choices of Banks, Perkins, and Hunter, and
then allowing the well-connected Papile to handle the all-important
negotiations with Jerry West concerning our draft night trade?

How about our newly announced Baker ''outreach program'' when Baker
is fully aware of the 359,694 outreach hours of laborious labor Ainge
has put in toward reaching some sort of settlement with Baker or the
league in order to rid our team of foul-spot Vin?

How about chuckling over inferring to some that Erick Strickland was
in the bag only to have it announced the very next day that Strickland
had signed elsewhere?

How about we couldn't offer even a teensy bit more than the minimum
to Daniels or Strickland or Best because it would have automatically
thrown us over next year's yet-to-be-announced luxury tax threshold.
Good thing it turned out that James was secretly Danny's first choice
all along.  How lucky can we get that none of the other four PG's took
us up on our minimum offer, eventually enabling us to finally sign the
guy Ainge most wanted in the first place.

How about Danny trading for the 56th draft pick then swearing on his
good Christian Grandpappy's Bible he would never sign Hunter no matter
how well Hunter performed in the ''no relation to the NBA''  summer
league?

And why was Ainge conveniently out of town during the Best recruitment,
and how did the wrong message get transmitted to even his own team's
publicist that Best had signed?  Let me guess - it's Papile, it's Papile
again.  ''Hello, Utah, I mean Danny?  Piece of cake; Travis is ours. Good
thing I knew the kid's uncle back in Travy's West Springfield H. S. days.''

Meanwhile, Ainge has been trying to trade Sundov, for humanitarian
purposes, of course.  But he has found no takers for this particular
weapon of mass destruction.  As for Bremer, after Ainge realized
that Bremer was indeed not yet locked into a 2003-04 contract...
well enter James, and exit Bremer.

And now Jumaine Jones is Saturday's child.  After speaking so highly of
Kedrick, it appears that Ainge would now prefer the mediocre Jones'
3-pt. shooting to Kedrick's rebounding and deer-in-the-headlights
style play.

Looks like our $3 million dollar man has been more proficient at
trickery than with results.  His present contributions to last season's
team - three draft picks plus FA James.

It all makes me teary-eyed, Kestas.  Aren't you sorry you asked?

Egg