Re: ESPN, the place where "No Celtics News Is Good News"

At 12:02 PM 7/25/03 -0700, Ryan W wrote:
> > >....for of all the Celtic
> > >hating out there, from the refusal of a cap room
> > >exemption following the passing of Reggie
> >
> > I have also commented on that, though not as
> > specifically as the article
> > about the refs.  In fact, I mentioned it in another
> > post today!
>
>Yeah, man, I plagarized.  Funny thing is....if it's in
>an academic or professional setting, plagarism is
>looked upon as quite a stigma...but if you do it
>"artistically", be it the obligatory homage to Wells
>or Kubrick, or the subconscious or unconscious lifting
>of lyrics like Paul Simon (Bridge Over Troubled
>Water--completely plagarized)

We might need to take this particular discussion off-list, but I have never
heard of any accusations of plagiarism for "Bridge Over Troubled
Water".  Granted, there was a lot of justifiable screaming about
"Scarborough Fair", but this is the first time I've heard it about
"Bridge", my all-time favorite song.

>Snoop, is it me, or do we seem to do this every couple
>months or so....just complain (aimlessly it would
>seem, since the season is on break) about refs,
>without any general prompting?  It's good, in that the
>refs deserve criticism, but also bad....cause
>complaining is about the worse trait ever.  Don't
>think I'm picking on you, though, cause I complain
>about the refs ALL THE TIME....

Within reason, complaining can be a positive thing.  After all, it's not
unreasonable to express dissatisfaction or even dislike, as long as you can
give some cogent reasons for it.  I believe that the officiating has
seriously declined in quality, and that there is no reasonable option to
bring a complaint about it--other than the officials themselves, who do not
disclose what action--if any--is taken against an official.  Though they're
rather quick to publicize the fines to players and coaches.

Last year, when Tommy Heinsohn blew his stack on the air over the
officiating, someone had actually looked into whether he could be fined for
his comments.  The answer was no, since he is an employee of the network
and not the Celtics.  He could, however, be ejected from a game if the refs
decided he was causing a distraction.  I was amazed he wasn't booted,
however much I agreed with him.

The fiefdom established by the officials was a backlash from some truly
horrendous abuse from players, coaches and fans.  But it's gone too far the
other way.  I think the officials need to be at least nominally accountable
to an objective body--though how to achieve that objectivity is a toughie.

But--and comics fans out there know all about this--I never liked posts
that say "such and such sux" (and yes, they inevitably misspell the word),
without at least saying WHY, instead of making an Official Proclamation
like they were the last word on the subject.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle